Biamping

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Re: Biamping

Unread post by karatestu »

Come a long way since my last post on this thread. Doc seduced me into trying nva by supplying me with nva amp boards to build in my own amps. Two monoblocs turned in to four and just the other day, six.

I agree with the posts by Doc and DQ at the beginning of the thread. With nva amplifiers and Doc / nva inspired speakers it is clear that there are benefits of going to the trouble and expense of having a dedicated amp for each driver size / frequency band.

If i had posted my findings about passive biamping on pfm or similar forum i think there is a good chance of being laughed at and told i am hearing things :roll: . So i don't bother anymore.

Is it something about nva that makes it so good when adding more amplifiers ? Others seem to report mixed outcomes on other forums, some even preferring single amps over multiple ones.
DIY FREE ZONE

TheMadMick
ST_PATRICK'S_SALTIRE

Unread post by TheMadMick »

Stu

There are a number of things in you 8Feb post. I'd like to address one. Bi-amping itself is a "good thing". I had a pair of MF P170's each dedicated to one channel. One channel of each amp drove the bass and the the other the treble. Outcome was a tighter and faster bass and a sweeter treble (as much as my old ears could discern).

If you have the kit / cash, it's well worth it. However, it has a low WAF unless your partner is very understanding or has left.
Blusound Vault 2, P50SA, A80's, BMU, TIS, LS7, MA PL200, Meridian 506 (18 bit).

karatestu
Great Britain

TheMadMick wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:37 pm Stu

There are a number of things in you 8Feb post. I'd like to address one. Bi-amping itself is a "good thing". I had a pair of MF P170's each dedicated to one channel. One channel of each amp drove the bass and the the other the treble. Outcome was a tighter and faster bass and a sweeter treble (as much as my old ears could discern).

If you have the kit / cash, it's well worth it. However, it has a low WAF unless your partner is very understanding or has left.
Surely hifi / music obsession wouldn't result in a partner leaving ? :whistle: Luckily mine likes music almost as much as me :dance:

An extra amp isn't going to be so demanding as regards space ? Aesthetically it all must be a compromise, no one should be bullied at home. There is enough of that going on without getting it at home too :roll:
DIY FREE ZONE

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Agree about the WAF aspect of biamping, unless you have a man cave. :lol: Cube 1s are my limit, most of my other boxes being on the small side. :lol:

I remember the Doc posting about the benefits of biamping as opposed to upgrading to TSCS (LS7). He advised that each provides different gains. For me it was a no brainer and the upgrade from LS6 to TSCS resulted in a huge improvement.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Lindy cat 6 US ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

karatestu
Great Britain

I have two sets of LS6. I dare not try TSCS :naughty:

My wife never complained about my quadraspire wobbly rack with two Naim Nap 140's (mono), Nac 72 + hicap, CD3.5 + hicap, Stageline + hicap with the king of the castle being a LP12 with lingo psu. Quite an eye full.. Looking back it was a testosterone fuelled assault on the ear drums :hand:
DIY FREE ZONE

karatestu
Great Britain

Maybe we should all get big full rangers like Steve & Ant and save ourselves a fortune on amps and cables ?
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

karatestu wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:33 pm Maybe we should all get big full rangers like Steve & Ant and save ourselves a fortune on amps and cables ?
And if we only played stuff recorded in mono... :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

So, nobody else has any views on passive biamping ? Or has it all been said already?
DIY FREE ZONE

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I bi-amp simply because it was recommended by Richard. I had decided to buy NVA amplification and so I bought the basic setup he used as an example: Stereo amp for the top end, two monoblocks for the bottom end, and a passive pre. I have no intention of changing the configuration because it sounds so good. I can't afford to step up the NVA range, and there's little point taking anything out of the equation.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

karatestu
Great Britain

No need to change anything Paul. Or maybe just one more Audioquest cable :lol:

I can safely say that imo Doc was right to recommend passive biamping with nva gear. The gains are worth the cost.
DIY FREE ZONE