Allison speakers

All general audio posts go here.
karatestu
Great Britain

Allison speakers

Unread post by karatestu »

I have recently been interested in Allison speakers.

I notice there are models that look like the 6's with upward firing mid/bass but floorstanding.

Wondering how these compare to the cube dimensional model.

Thanks, Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Allison speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As far I know only stand mounts have upward drivers, the 4 - 5 - and 6 in the original range.

The floor standers 1 - 2 - and 3 have large 10 or 12 inch drivers close to the floor. Later on when others got involved with him diluting his content there were speakers that could be described that way, with angled floor drivers, but they weren't of the same quality as his original company ones.

He wasn't a business man and his companies always struggled with profit, but not ability and quality, the penny counters he involved later lost him a lot of that and yet he still didn't make money.

karatestu
Great Britain

Hey Doc,

I was looking at THESE

The pics are in post no.3 and they look to have upward firing mid/bass.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

They are the not so good second series, but you have his original tweeter which are some of the best tweeters ever made (known as the nipple tweeter), replaced later with a no where near as good ones in later versions. They are fragile and do fail.

They will be OK to good, but if you want better then they should have the wadding removed and the crossover components removed from the bass / mid, and dope them as per Doc Mods. Because of the compression mode from the top driver steel plating will not be so important, so do if wanted.

karatestu
Great Britain

Oh, thanks for the info Doc. I am not interested in them . Just a curiosity about the approach of using a larger floor standing cabinet. If i were to buy any it would be from the first series.

Stu
DIY FREE ZONE