Fora Personalities whose advise is best avoided

All general audio posts go here.
joe
Has thanked: 0

Re: Fora Personalities whose advise is best avoided

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:
joe wrote:Apart from being factually incorrect, that description of me would seem to fall foul of the ad hominem rule.
which bit , excepting the seventies comment is clearly an exaggeration .
The seventies comment is untrue. If it was true, I'd be using:

BSR turntable with Empire cartridge
Goodmans Module 90 tuner/amp
Goodmans RB35 speakers
Akai reel-to-reel tape recorder.

All of the above have gone to the great hifi graveyard, apart from the Akai tape recorder, which is sitting alone and unloved in a cupboard somewhere (one channel is faulty).

'Codger' is ad hominem. Possibly. I'd need legal advice on that one.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

codger is a term for a gentlemen your age .It is value neutral in the dictionary I checked it before I used it .

and slinger I do not argue for the sake of it ,I argue with opinions that do not match mine to establish I am correct, ;)

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:codger is a term for a gentlemen your age .It is value neutral in the dictionary I checked it before I used it .
The OED defines codger as:

'A mean, stingy, or miserly (old) fellow; sometimes, like cadger, a pedlar, tramp, or beggar.'

I will sue.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well I am definitely a codger then :lol: :lol:

I wont sue.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am far more concerned with what they do (say) than who is doing it. Apart from Marco I think all of my reactions are down to content not personality (sadly Marco's personality cannot be ignored).

My reactions are often personal, like nob head / shill / crook, but the reasons aren't.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The problem with most of those people that rave about minor tweaks is they exaggerate a very small difference and interpret any difference in sound as an improvement. Frankly they would need many hours of listening and changing back and forth to determine if there was any real improvement. Again they don't review the music they are listening to and how it is affected by the change. This tells me they listen to equipment and not music and are into equipment one-up-man-ship rather than viewing hi-fi as a means of music reproduction.
These users thanked the author Classicrock for the post:
Lindsayt (Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:32 am)
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

O dear , that's not the one I looked at , I will look at Chambers , my preferred source .

codger noun, colloq a man, especially an old and strange one.
ETYMOLOGY: 18c: perhaps a variant of cadge.

I stand by my comment :grin:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Rocky if it a scam and shill they forget they need to as it is only the words and the persuasion / marketing that counts. It is one of the ways I detect / judge the latest scam, and IMO this fuse thing is the latest forum scam.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

codger noun, colloq a man, especially an old and strange one. Thats me :dance: :dance: :lol:

joe

Unread post by joe »

Classicrock wrote:The problem with most of those people that rave about minor tweaks is they exaggerate a very small difference and interpret any difference in sound as an improvement. Frankly they would need many hours of listening and changing back and forth to determine if there was any real improvement. Again they don't review the music they are listening to and how it is affected by the change. This tells me they listen to equipment and not music and are into equipment one-up-man-ship rather than viewing hi-fi as a means of music reproduction.
What's more (and I write as someone who's 'been there') such tweakery leads to a 'listening for differences' approach, using the same recording you've heard a billion times before and 'suddenly noticing' a snare drum or something that you'd never heard before. Possibly because I'm getting older, and definitely because I'm getting lazier, I can't be doing with that 'sitting on the edge of the seat, jumping up to make some minor adjustment, swap some cables around' malarkey. I'd rather listen to a piece of music from start to finish these days.