The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: The Hi-Fi Industry and Hobby

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Richer Sounds is the only dealer now left worth having. Never thought I would say that 30 years ago when they started, everyone sneered at them. They don't try to rip you off.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Richer Sounds is the only dealer now left worth having. Never thought I would say that 30 years ago when they started, everyone sneered at them. They don't try to rip you off.
Unfortunately, they have indulged in some sly practice. Advertising flavour of the month 5 star reviewed products at a low price but only having a few units available throughout the country. When you go into a shop they point you to something 'just the same' but that you've not heard of and that they've got shed loads to sell at much bigger margins than the one you went in for...
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Standard retailer ploy in all industries.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Standard retailer ploy in all industries.
Doesn't seem to apply to high end cameras and lenses but then new prices are eye watering.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

savvypaul wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Richer Sounds is the only dealer now left worth having. Never thought I would say that 30 years ago when they started, everyone sneered at them. They don't try to rip you off.
Unfortunately, they have indulged in some sly practice. Advertising flavour of the month 5 star reviewed products at a low price but only having a few units available throughout the country. When you go into a shop they point you to something 'just the same' but that you've not heard of and that they've got shed loads to sell at much bigger margins than the one you went in for...
Just buy stuff that is marked as available on-line. Then you know they have stock in the warehouse. I think they are awaiting more stock from China at present for many black fascia items as they are only available to order in store.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I used to pass by the London Bridge Richer Sounds every day for about 18 or 19 years on my way to work in the seventies/eighties and you'd never believe they could shoehorn that much tempting stuff into something the size of a shoe box. Fair play to Julian Richer for seeing an opportunity all that time ago and not only grabbing it with both hands but outlasting the majority of other dealers by adapting when he needed to. Anyway, how can you fault a man who's married to someone named Rosie Richer. :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:Stan association with Cambridge ended a long time ago .
Cambridge Audio were in financial trouble as Stan was never a good business man. He worked out a system to defraud Customs and Excise (vat). The problem is he fell out with and sacked a member of staff who knew what he was doing. The next time he had stuff making a second pass down the production line having serial numbers changed he was raided. He spent 6 months in jail for VAT fraud. The company was sold out of bankruptcy.
I understand this thread with this history hence Cambridge Audio is now part of Richer Sounds

Frasernash
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Frasernash »

savvypaul wrote:
I agree found this out yesterday when I visited a store got pestered by a salesmen and couldn't even look around he gave me the usual spiel they probably are one of the better dealers and would be my first choice as you can haggle and did not realise Roksan has now been taken over by Monitor Audio with both brands now given prominent display in the 2 channel section.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

That's probably why they had A Roksan Xerxes 10 in the MA room at Bristol show. Not a good combo as those metal drivers gave me the same effect as bad digital after a few minutes. Quit the opposite of the Michell Room using Proac D20R speakers with ribbon tweeters.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

Had a civilised 'exchange' with a Rega dealer on the Rega Research facebook group. I suggested that most if not all of the Rega TTs could be sold direct as the dealer is simply handing over a sealed box - cartridge fitted and aligned, piss easy job to fit the counterweight and balance the arm. 30 day home trial would be much better than a few tracks in dealer dem room and the dealer margins that Rega saved could be used to offer a 'full value' upgrade scheme within 2 years of purchase. He wished me a good evening...

:guiness;
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/