Amazon Echo Dot

All general audio posts go here.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Amazon Echo Dot

Unread post by terrybooth »

Got one of these things out of curiosity.

You need to be an Amazon fan (or at least have an Amazon account) to have one of these. Like Google Home (which I presume will arrive in the UK next year) it's a voice controlled interface to a load of cloud services - Amazon's in this case - which allow you to do stuff in and out of your home. This is all very new and may well just fizzle out but the promise is that you can control and ask for just about anything - eventually - just not very much at the moment.

So I was interested to see what it could do with music so I set it up, plugged it in in the place of a Chromecast and said 'Alexa. Play music' So it chose to play Melody Gardot (presumably because I've ordered more Melody Gardot albums from Amazon than any other artist. Now, all the Amazon Dot can do is to stream from Amazon music. Not impressed. The Chromecast audio streaming from my locally stored files gives a much better sound. There's might be a switch, as with the Chromecast, which turns off the lousy sound, but I haven't found it.

Disappointing!
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Amazon Echo Dot

Unread post by Shevans »

I glad I did not buy one, I had read that the audio out quality was not good which is why I held off until a few reviews / reports surfaced.

However I am hoping for Home Automation and other voice control using a Dot.