Where do I go from here?

All general audio posts go here.
CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Where do I go from here?

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Hi all, this is my first post after a few weeks of "lurking" so here goes:

I'm after some general advice on which way to go from here in terms of setting up a viable system to get back into listening like I did when I was younger.

I am currently running my Macbook Pro through a NAD 3140 i got cheap on ebay and some Rogers LS4s (ebay again: some time ago and now down from the loft.) (which replaced a £10 pair of Wharfedale 30.2s) with recently purchased NVA cables. I added a cheap Chinese (little bear?) headphone preamp between the laptop and the amp which seems an improvement on the op-amps in the computer and gives a clearer view of the music with a better low-end.

So where to from here? I think the computer will be the main source for the forseeable, and I'm not going to lavish cash on the system as I did in the old days (I have a Linn/Naim system in the loft which went out of use when my daughter put her fingers through the tweeters and mids on a pair of Isobariks about 15 years ago!) Instinctively i doubt that the amps will work well with digital sources (they sounded harsh with my original Yamaha CD player) So what I might do is sell the lot and use the money to fund some new kit, but in the short term, and recognising the shortcoming with the present setup, I would appreciate some of your input on some fairly cost effective improvements.

So. Is there a better digital source I could be using? Would a DAC be a good upgrade at this point? Or should I splash out straight away on a better amp?

After reading other threads on here I am fairly hopeful that the speakers can be modded and improved so I can hang on to them for a while at least.

Thanks in advance guys.

Mark
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

guydarryl

Re: Where do I go from here?

Unread post by guydarryl »

Interesting that you have Linn/Naim in the loft! (I know, I have various bits and pieces around the house and hold back from selling them - just in case).

Do you intend to get the Linn/Naim working again at some stage in the future - be honest with yourself.

If no, then sell on and use the funds to buy a system which you can use. Benefits will include clearing some space, fewer niggling thoughts about "what if" and using the funds raised to purchase something that works/is useful.
Don't prevaricate - reading your post I think that you will keep that stuff in the loft regardless, I am similar!

A starting point for a new system would be the P20/A30 (remember this forum is full of people who use NVA, so the advice is likely to be biased :lol: ), If you don't like it, send it back - bit of fun trying out though.
Speakers; Rega Ela or Kyte from ebay (bias again, others will give different views).

All the best. Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

The rogers ls4 are simple 2 way design and I would if there were mine doc mod them . First and simplest step take out the wool , and steel line the cabinets. crossover , damping can wait depending on how eager you are .

Again if I were you I would replace the amp with a NVA A20/P20. { £300} I would then listen to those who know far more than me and how to upgrade your digital source cheaply. Thereafter I would sit back and listen , get your linn naim kit out of the loft , compare it to the nva amp and then sell it and revaluate were you go .

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

Biased opinions on here Guy. :o

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

On a point of pedantry , I am not offering an opinion, I am merely advising cyclecoach what I would do if I were him. ;)

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

That was not aimed at you DQ, your advice was exactly what I would have given.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Thanks Guy.

I love the fact that you can try the NVA stuff risk free and may well give that a try soon (what is there to lose after all?) but I wonder in particular about my source. My original system was very much turntable based, so i do wonder about what the best way to go nowadays?
I originally had a plan to resurrect the old gear after ten years of no hi-fi at all to speak of (maybe not the speakers as they will cost a fortune to put right) but after splashing out a whopping £50 for an amp and speakers on ebay, just to get some music in the room, and hearing definate signs of "hi-fi-ness" (separated instruments, a sense of space etc, etc) and getting a sense that maybe all that money I spent back then wasn't the best value for money, I wonder if it might be fun to almost start from scrath again?
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

I just want to hear what you guys think - whether it's "biased" or not :grin:

I think you're right re the speakers being moddable and the DIY bit is something I've never really tried before so it should be fun!

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

I don't have much experience with digital equipment other than; if you are using the MacBook with "I Tunes" mp3 downloads, don't do it :hand:
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Erm. I am :doh: