Where do I go from here?

All general audio posts go here.
Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Re: Where do I go from here?

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

The only Mac I have of that vintage is a MacBook Air and I haven't really used it to play music. My 2011 MacBook Pro does provide good sound though so I would expect yours to be at least as good. I never use MP3 or MP4 files though so I have no idea what their quality might be. I should qualify that as I do sometimes use the MacBooks to show video at an after school club but the sound system there isn't great.

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I am thinking that the NVA starter system, together with a decent DAC (Cambridge Audio DAC 100/DMP or Beresford Caiman MKII) would be more than sufficient, as well as giving a sound upgrade path when you are ready. All of those DACs will accept USB input and two of them have a headphone amp.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

+1 What George said.

Also a 2nd hand Musical Fidelity V-DAC or M1DAC would do to get you going. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Some great advice fellas and I appreciate it. I think maybe I should get the old kit down from the loft and listen (I mean the old amp should (hopefully) be an improvement on the NAD shouldn't it!?)

I also like the fact that I've heard no "absolutes" (it has to be X, Y or Z - you need this after that etc) just some advice of exactly the type I need. THANKS GUYS> I'll keep you posted on what's going on (with pix if I can work out how to post them.)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Nowt wrong with iTunes downloads.
I have a huge 11,000 strong collection of songs bought off iTunes and now subscribe to Apple Music.
There is zero audible difference between 256K AAC files or streams and regular CDs...I mean' zero.
I wouldn't buy them if they sounded crap, and the amount of new music I've discovered over the years is...er...quite a lot.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Nowt wrong with iTunes downloads.
I have a huge 11,000 strong collection of songs bought off iTunes and now subscribe to Apple Music.
There is zero audible difference between 256K AAC files or streams and regular CDs...I mean' zero.
I wouldn't buy them if they sounded crap, and the amount of new music I've discovered over the years is...er...quite a lot.
Good to know Steve - i have a fair few (thousand) of them myself!
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I would also really encourage you to consider trying a Pi setup as a source when you have the other bits in place. Inexpensive and there are several informed guys like Fretless and Terry who can help you to set it all up.