Hi-Fi mythology

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hi-Fi mythology

Unread post by George Hincapie »

What's wrong with Harbeths then? Aren't they very good?

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

applemarc wrote:Roger Macer and Hamish split Roger keeping the London shop and Hamish went to York. Not long after that Roger had a falling out with Linn some document all the dealers where supposed to sigh Roger disagreed with it and started to have different Turntables and speakers in the shop. Where as Hamish was 1000% a Linn man.

I remaber the NVA being in the London shop but never listened to it I wish I had

I believe Roger passed away a few years ago...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

George Hincapie wrote:What's wrong with Harbeths then? Aren't they very good?
You don't need to go there... They're polar opposite to NVA speakers in every possible and conceivable way, from manufacturer attitude to finished boxes and everything in between. The user-system pictures on their user group, all shrines to the great BBC inheritance, should tell you that...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

George Hincapie
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by George Hincapie »

I don't have any knowledge re: the brand, so it's a legitimate question. I know nothing about BBC speakers either. But I can read between your lines.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Harbeth follow in the BBC tradition of thin rigid cabinets and steep order complex crossovers in 2 or 3 drive unit wooden boxes .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Over damped, over crossovered, overpriced, and over bullshitted, by an ex rep / salesman who now thinks he is a Hi-Fi guru.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

George Hincapie wrote:What's wrong with Harbeths then? Aren't they very good?
I currently have a pair of Cube 1 and a pair of Harbeth P3ESR. If you would like to hear the audio equivalent of chalk vs cheese, feel free to drop by.
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

It would appear that almost anyone can design a speaker, designing a good one is another matter entirely.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

You have a mountain to climb, but each 'face' offers different challenges to the climber. In terms of audio, there are many ways of getting a high quality sound in your listening room/studio or whatever and the best ones are valid for different people and tastes. For example, I got cross on the HUG (a regular occurrence before I voluntarily called it a day) because a poster in the far east had bought a lush Accuphase amp for his little P3ESR's and called the sound 'silk.' Now, I've attended enough small jazz gigs at local pubs as well as local choral society and small orchestral concerts to know that NO acoustic instrument can possibly be called 'silky' in sound when heard close up and although recording and mixing inevitably takes a huge amount of this rawness away, there's enough good '50's jazz on vinyl and CD to show some or most of the rasp and dynamics of the raw instruments.

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:You have a mountain to climb, but each 'face' offers different challenges to the climber. In terms of audio, there are many ways of getting a high quality sound in your listening room/studio or whatever and the best ones are valid for different people and tastes. For example, I got cross on the HUG (a regular occurrence before I voluntarily called it a day) because a poster in the far east had bought a lush Accuphase amp for his little P3ESR's and called the sound 'silk.' Now, I've attended enough small jazz gigs at local pubs as well as local choral society and small orchestral concerts to know that NO acoustic instrument can possibly be called 'silky' in sound when heard close up and although recording and mixing inevitably takes a huge amount of this rawness away, there's enough good '50's jazz on vinyl and CD to show some or most of the rasp and dynamics of the raw instruments.
Just one pair of speakers is never enough... ;)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/