Hi-Fi mythology

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Hi-Fi mythology

Unread post by Fretless »

The Sound Organisation in York was a very unfriendly place in the mid-80's. If you didn't like Linn or Naim you were hardly even let in.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

SteveTheShadow wrote:
antonio66 wrote:I'm loving my PT lots more than the LP12 I owned, the ironic thing is there was Vickers HiFi selling PT's a few shops down on the same road from were I purchased the Linn. :doh:
That wouldn't be "The Sound Örganisation" on the corner of Gillygate, York, would it?
15 years ago Vickers always used to have a Michell Gyrodec in their window just down the road.
I used to drool over that Gyro, but was so caught up with the Linn bullshit, that I always talked myself out of buying it,
even though 99% of my vinyl sounded like shite through my Sondek fronted Pretek/Powertek/Index setup.
Go figure :cry:
It certainly would be Steve, but this was in 1986 and the SO was further up the street but on the same side. I believe they moved a few shops closer to the corner before moving to were they are now. It was Hamish who sold me the Linn and I travelled from Grimsby with my then girlfriend, and first listened to a Rega 3 followed by a Linn Axis and then the LP12. To both our ears the LP12 was best, and then I was on the road to ruin with upgrades followed by Naim amps and their upgrades.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:All that stuff was long gone by 1980, We had Klipsch to try, the smaller ones were ghastly screamers with modern ss gear.
Long gone where?

Klipschorns are still in production today.
Altec 19's were in production from 1976 to 1985.
Pioneer Exclusive range: P3 was in production 1979 to 1981. Same with the P10. C10 was produced in 1980. The M range of power amps were around at that time too.
Ortofon SPU Classic A/AE & G/GE: in production in 1980.

Garrard 401, would have been some around on the 2nd hand market in 1980.
The Thorens 124 might have been a bit scarce in 1980. Thorens did introduce the Referenz - 1 in 1979.

antonio66

Fretless wrote:The Sound Organisation in York was a very unfriendly place in the mid-80's. If you didn't like Linn or Naim you were hardly even let in.
They always let me in. :(

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave - once again stop trying to defend the indefensible, plus your facts and fantasy wombles about how wonderful our dealers were is just some nostalgic bollocks. FFS wake up mate. They are bunch of shits now and they were a bunch of shits then. Run by crooks and slurpers employing brainwashed trained tits if flat earth, and often if not. OF COURSE they try to seem nice guys and be your friend that is what slurpers and salesmen do, in reality all they want is your money.

Use your brains, why do you think there is so much good Japanese gear that can be bought from German eBay and not here, it doesn't take much intelligence to work it out. :roll:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

antonio66 wrote:
Fretless wrote:The Sound Organisation in York was a very unfriendly place in the mid-80's. If you didn't like Linn or Naim you were hardly even let in.
They always let me in. :(
I told them my NVA sounded better than a Naim - was persona non grata after that. :lol:

Never trusted any Flat Earth propaganda anyway. Too elitist.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

antonio66

I'm sure the Sound Org had NVA listed in brands sold. They also sold Exposure, but as I've mentioned before they pooh poohed my Funk Firm mat on the Linn and I never went back.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

applemarc wrote:I used to buy my kit from the Sound Org in London at London Bridge I can remember taking in my LP12/Istook/Asak T and asking to upgrade the Asak and Roger one of the owners ...........
:o
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If they said they sold NVA then they lied. In order to be a dealer you have to actually sell it. They become one of the many dealers who bought one to stick on the shelf and then sell what they had to sell i.e, Linn and Naim. It was only the London shop and if my memory is good I couldn't get them to pay for it, so took it back.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I was a costumer of Sound Org at York for most of the 80s and 90s. Never saw or heard or NVA there.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro