Sony 770es Sold

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sony 770es Sold

Unread post by antonio66 »

Well due to an intermittent fault with the amp and the price I got quoted, £200, for repair I decided to sell. Well I've now got a JVC AX 441 (£45 ebay bargain) until funds allow for the purchase of NVA amps and phono. Well I'm listening to it now and am very pleased. Its got a great phonostage which easily matches the Sony and playing digital through cd direct it sounds leaner and quicker but still has plenty of tonality. The Sony gave a richer fuller sound that many would prefer but for me I leaning towards the JVC. Doc, would Applemarc's A30 be a good match for the Cube 3's, I had been thinking of the A60, (I like a few more watts). Note for Jammy, sorry I haven't done a review on the SC's you let me have but with amp troubles it's put me back.

Shevans
Great Britain

Re: Sony 770es Sold

Unread post by Shevans »

Before the Doc moved I popped over to pick up an AP10px, had a stunning demo of the cubes driven to fantastic levels, great clarity with what I thought was the pair of A80 as they were on the sideboard. Turned out it was my AP10 that was connected, seriously I was stunned at what I heard.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As he says, even a NVA 10 or 20 will do the job. Cubes are very easy to drive, even low powered valve amps will drive them. Well over 10w though if you don't want higher SPLs then even a SET will do the job.

You see Cubes are different, you have to consider the room is filled with music not just aimed at you where you sit.

antonio66

Thanks for that Shevans and Doc, I know I don't play at high volumes, but the devil on my shoulder keeps telling me, "Get more watts, it always sounds better" Will give it some serious thought. :-?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is not the watts that make an amp better, it just makes it give more SPL. I could build you a pair of A80's with everything the same as a normal A80 but the secondary voltage the same as a A20 so same watts, will it sound like a A20, no it will sound like a A80. Everyone thinks it is about power, it is not, power is only about how much you need.

hughandella

Unread post by hughandella »

Antonio .... I have embarked on upgrade path ( I'm afraid I've already agreed to buy the power amp from applemarc) so will have an A20 ( with matching P20 if needed ) to go for a fair price shortly ---- I bought it literally 1 month ago on 24th Oct so is in pristine condition --- I m trying a P50sa to go with the 30 watt amp --- I am sure it will be better especially as I have ordered SSC too - but do be assured the basic A20/P20 combo is very impressive indeed
PM if interested
cheers
chris

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I think you have misunderstood the system. Trade in is like for like. You want a P50sa then you can trade in the P20 against it. You get the ebay value as on the separate listing, £100.

When you decide to upgrade the power amp then the A20 can be traded in against it, as ebay listing again £200.

hughandella

Unread post by hughandella »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I think you have misunderstood the system. Trade in is like for like. You want a P50sa then you can trade in the P20 against it. You get the ebay value as on the separate listing, £100.

When you decide to upgrade the power amp then the A20 can be traded in against it, as ebay listing again £200.
I'm offering this direct to Antonio Doc .... I'm not going to make any comments other than I have to 'adjust' for your very blunt replies --- luckily the kit is good enough to make it worthwhile and the like for like is fair --- but when I think of you the first thought isn't 'flexible' !!!! :lol:

antonio66

Thanks for the offer but I wanted to go for p50sa with the A30. Maybe someone else on here would be interested. Sorry can't understand why you did not trade in you A20 for a new A30.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Flexibility takes time and effort that I don't have available. It has to be a simple system otherwise I can't do it. Can you imagine having to remember different nuances for each different deal, the size of my brain is limited I am afraid, and as I get older more so :lol: