Purpose built Chinese DAC

All general audio posts go here.
hughandella
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Purpose built Chinese DAC

Unread post by hughandella »

Somewhere on the forum ( I've lost the original piece ) there were discussions re the quality of some Chinese audio companies and how it would seem foolish to put them all in the same 'inferior cheap labour cheap parts = rubbish' bracket ..... rather to be a bit more open minded about the possibilities ...... I took notice as I'd had very good results with a NOS DAC based on a Terabak model that cost me £100 and I took down the name of a company recommended ( I think ) by Doc himself.
Long story short I have taken the plunge and ordered this :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141775243979? ... Tags=bu=bu

And the seller/manufacturer a very friendly guy called Yao has made the following mods for me :

(i) upgraded the opamp and power supply, to lme49710 and the talema transformer X2
(ii) added a USB input ---the XMOS usb card, we will install for you on the DAC and test it before shipping
(iii) and included a decent USB cable

With shipping this comes to $299

The TDA 1547 is based on the much desired TDA 1541a chip it seems -- I've read pretty polarizing views on it, some rave and others don't rate it at all but I thought if I am taking a chance on trusting the Chinese guy on his recommendations for upgrades I should listed to his idea for the right chip for me as well ....... I understand there is a NVA computer 'thingy' in the works but no details on circuits etc - so I'm not expecting any 'official' comments on this little experiment here but I admit i'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

As noted in my earlier posts the best DAC I personally have used is the SW1X but that is in a different price zone, right now I am using a ifi Audio DSD nano which has a lot of plaudits ( and I understand why ) .... that is £165 new so closer to the price of the Chinese unit of £249 ( with dreaded paypal fees and shitty exchange rates ) ... I'll let you know how it works out .... I'm hopeful but realistic !

Lurcher300b

Re: Purpose built Chinese DAC

Unread post by Lurcher300b »

The TDA 1547 is based on the much desired TDA 1541a chip
The 1547 is a 1 bit dac, the 1541 is a r2r ladder, very different things. Not saying it will sound bad, but to say one is based on the other is a bit of a stretch.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Good luck with the chinese dac's,i have tried a few.None of them worked as well as my Bushmaster.For some reason the chinese seem to cram as many components as they can into a box,whereas stan's box is almost empty.Interested to hear your conclusions...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

hughandella

Lurcher300b wrote:
The TDA 1547 is based on the much desired TDA 1541a chip
The 1547 is a 1 bit dac, the 1541 is a r2r ladder, very different things. Not saying it will sound bad, but to say one is based on the other is a bit of a stretch.
Thanks -- I didn't know that (obv) --- just quoting others, this digital arena is a challenge to understand --- lets hope it sounds OK

hughandella

DAC built and tested and on it's way --- crossed fingers

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

Can't understand why you did not take up George's kind offer of the Dac 3, I have been using it and can only say for £120 if great value with fatigue free sound with plenty of detail. It's going to Quarknosis next but I'm sure you could give it a try if you wanted to.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Which Dac 3 is that? A couple manufacturers do models of that name at around £2K.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

There is a thread on the forum CR if you do a search.