Sonos

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonos

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Out of curiosity, have any of you used a Sonos Connect? Perhaps via wired ethernet with a NAS attached? If so, how was it musically?

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Sonos

Unread post by Fretless »

I have 2. There is one attached to the kitchen stereo via wifi, and a second on ethernet cable in the sitting-room for background music (old NVA system with Arcam speakers). Sonos gear will work wirelessly but the sound is better on cabled connections. There is also a software hack to disable the wifi completely - improves the sound as well.

Sonos equipment is easy to setup and use and I was very happy with the SQ until I started playing around with Pi's which are noticeably more 'audiophile'. Running them off a NAS is a doddle - user interface on PC/tablet asks where your music is and automatically loads it.

The remote-volume control is also great if you are feeling lazy - although it slightly reduces the clarity. Styling is nice. You can run Spotify, Airplay, multi-room, TV, etc. They have both analogue and digital outputs - and an extra ethernet socket for extending the wired network.

Main drawback is the price. You will find the sound quality to be good but not exceptional.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

I have been a Sonos user since 2005, used the ZP80 / ZP90 / Connect with great success on various NVA amps but came to the conclusion that they are a bottleneck for audio quality despite what the idiots in the Sonos forum think and the test monkeys measure.

I still have a few Sonos speakers left but have moved over to Bluesound devices now as they support hires files, MQA and soon Roon. The audio quality is far better than Sonos, the software is good and music services available are getting better with each release. I can see Bluesound becoming the audiophile version of Sonos in the future.

Bluesound does cost more than Sonos but even when comparing an integrated speakers between the two Bluesound wins within seconds. Their Pulse Mini is so good you forget that is a tiny box, downside is that you can only buy from Sevenoaks in the U.K.

George Hincapie

Wow! Bluesound is stupidly expensive! The Vault version is twice the price of the equivalent Brennan B2...

Copperblue

Unread post by Copperblue »

I use Sonos connect only, wired connection to a router switch to which is also attached a NAS.

Excellent software in the Sonos - it just works, picks up all my lossless FLAC CD copies on my NAS which have been ripped using dBPoweramp software.

CD rips sound surprisingly good through the Sonos - I would say as good as a £300 to £500 CD player (better than my Oppo 103D universal disc player for example). I also use Tidal which sounds OK but not as good as the CD rips on the NAS. Tidal and Spotify really work for me to enable to hear different music and helps me to rationalise / prioritise my vinyl purchases. Vinyl is my main listening for pleasure.

I do enjoy Tidal and Spotify when I'm travelling though.
Pink Triangle PT1 / Funk FXR2 / AT33PTG mk2 / Graham Slee Reflex C / NVA P50SA & NVA A70mk2 / Audio Note AX2 / Auralic Aries Mini / Oppo 103 / NVA LS5 & SSC’s

George Hincapie

Fretless
Netherlands

Modded Connect costs about the same as a Bluesound Node 2.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

George Hincapie

Has anyone done a A/B output comparison?

Fretless
Netherlands

One of my maior gripes with Sonos is that the whole system is limited to 16-bit. The mod does not improve that. Bluesound does up to 24-bit, 192 kHz Hi-Res.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

George Hincapie wrote:Has anyone done a A/B output comparison?
I tried the original Bluesound Node, a Sonos connect and compared them about 3 years or so ago. The Node was better and I was able to clearly hear interconnect differences using it which I could not when using the connect. At the time there was no UK dealers and it was on loan from a friend, if I could have purchased one in the UK mail order I would have.

Also Sonos have admitted that newer connnect models are no longer bit-perfect :shock:

(CONNECTs manufactured from 2011 on, with hardware version 1.16.5 or higher.)