Has thanked: 0

How will Brexit effect our hi-fi hobby

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Prompted by Slinger.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: How will Brexit effect our hi-fi hobby

Unread post by Classicrock »

Give Ortofon a chance to jack up their prices again. Won't make much difference to bling German gear as it is ridiculously expensive already. Perhaps it will mean new small British manufacturers emerging again of the type Linn/Naim destroyed.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If the pound stays low it will be of much benefit for new UK companies 1/ it will make overseas build (inc China) a lot more expensive 2/ until component stocks come down that are sourced abroad we will be very competitive in other markets, even with the agg of losing the EU open market.

The Permed One
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by The Permed One »

Won't effect me i have no intentions in Buying anymore Hi-Fi. Never bought anything new since 1989 anyway :guiness;

The Permed One
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by The Permed One »

One of the most important things i see that needs to happen within the UK is a lot more 'Made in the UK'

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

But all we have left are dying rip-off merchants. It needs new blood with new ideas.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Have there been a lot of new ideas in hi fi lately? It seems like a refinement of existing technology, which is not a bad thing, is how things have been plodding along. More than a passing nod to convenience and portability. This seems to be the primary focus of most new hi fi, how to condense and package various products into a lifestyle friendly component. Perhaps the closest we have come to new ideas is hi rez computer formats. Not even the chip amplifiers are really all that new, they are just better versions of former power chips.

Has there been a revolutionary way to make speakers lately? It seems that is the place where the most performance and sound quality can be gained, but there is very little movement on that front.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just because you have plodded along and not explored doesn't mean it is not there, because I can assure you it is. Not new technology but new ways at looking at the job, ignoring convention and old thought - it is sitting under your nose you just don't recognise it.

You are a member here yet you ask that last damn fool question, it is chronicled here in the forum, it is offered to DIY and in finished product.

This post of yours just makes me so frustrated at the ignorance out there.

Neonknight

Unread post by Neonknight »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Just because you have plodded along and not explored doesn't mean it is not there, because I can assure you it is. Not new technology but new ways at looking at the job, ignoring convention and old thought - it is sitting under your nose you just don't recognise it.

You are a member here yet you ask that last damn fool question, it is chronicled here in the forum, it is offered to DIY and in finished product.

This post of yours just makes me so frustrated at the ignorance out there.
I do believe I typed this.

It seems like a refinement of existing technology, which is not a bad thing, is how things have been plodding along.

Is it a statement of fact? It is not. Just an observation by a hobbyist. True I have not been able to dig through all the annals of this board, there is only so much time. But I have looked in corners, niches, rooms, and read in an attempt to understand the folks here. Now I certainly don't expect you to give a catalog of all the innovative small companies in Britain, building cutting edge electronics. Yet it would be just as unreasonable to expect someone from America to know all of the smaller British domestic companies.

Of course the question that can be asked. Is a person a fool for asking a question in a new board? Or is a person a fool for assuming that another should automatically know all of the particulars of a new environment?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is not refinement it is revolution to those who have tried it. It is not in corners it is very easy to find.