Vinyly satisfaction

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Vinyly satisfaction

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I always look on Ebay Germany, more and better choice, and no problems buying form there either.

http://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40 ... =200&rt=nc

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

This one is a goodie and perfect for moving coils - black ones rarely came here I think.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Plattenspieler-T ... Sw1DtXEo9K

Sprung under-tray which holds the motor and tone-arm - it works too. Rigid arm needing just a solid headshell for a decent MC. A cork mat on top of the rubber one gets the fixed-height arm level and you may need to replace the signal exit leads to the amp.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:This one is a goodie and perfect for moving coils - black ones rarely came here I think.

Sprung under-tray which holds the motor and tone-arm - it works too. Rigid arm needing just a solid headshell for a decent MC. A cork mat on top of the rubber one gets the fixed-height arm level and you may need to replace the signal exit leads to the amp.
Dave greatful if you could explain - is it shit with mm's and if so why............Tough question I know........ :?: :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Found a good one for you, I will PM so you only get a look.

MK1LN4E:)

Unread post by MK1LN4E:) »

Thanks doc I have already looked at this but was unsure, I know they made decks for a few manufacturers aparently. I couldn't find a great deal of info regarding this deck but it does look good tho. I'm torn between this or a technics SL 150. At least I know the price of the latter?
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

jammy395 wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:This one is a goodie and perfect for moving coils - black ones rarely came here I think.

Dave greatful if you could explain - is it shit with mm's and if so why............Tough question I know........ :?: :think:
I don't understand jammy - apologies...

The arm on this generation of techies is massier than that on your deck, but perfectly able to track most modern mm types except the most compliant or underdamped - a V15 III did work though, but we had better in musical terms by then.. The Dynavector 20A and 10X were popular choices for it, but they were competitive on price back then (totally outclassed now sadly, at their grossly inflated prices) and of course the Goldring 10** models should be very sweet and stable in this arm.. A new techie (lower mass for mm's) or Sumiko or similar (for MC's) shell and a cork mat should allow a wide choice of cartridges and 'Speedy Steve' does nice counterweight add-ons of the cartridge is too heavy.

There are other MC's around now I don't currently know. The SAE models were based on the Coral models I think and these should be fun. Stocks almost exhausted now. Ortofon's silly-beggars' dictatorial behaviour with smaller dealers has given the likes of Hana a look in - and they do look to be good although I have to listen to one properly for confirmation.

I have to say that I'm not overly enamoured by many MM types these days, as they tend as a breed to soften things too much. A Goldring 1042 at home was a disaster, although I sold hundreds in Rega 3's and the 1006 and 1012 in Planar 2's with huge success.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

MK1LN4E:)

Unread post by MK1LN4E:) »

OK so I'm now the proud owner of an SL 150 for £120, nice one Dave it seems to be in great condition good find! Just need suitable arm an cart? I have an SME 3009 on my fons already, which I could swap over.
What would the cost be doc to change my phono 2 from mc-mm? Just keeps my options open, it may have to be that way for the time being.
Any thoughts anyone?
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

30 squids plus postage.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Swap the 3009 over - you may need some small nuts, washers and bolts. For now, retain the rubber grommets on the SME base and don't crush these grommets when fitting - tweaking here can come later if you want to.

An Oscars Audio cork mat is cheap and so is the one from seller 'chizwizzard.' They're fine, dirt cheap and only need to be placed over the stock rubber one for good/better sonics in my experience. The Techie main bearing responds well to EP80 oil and it does eventually creep down into the bearing innards.

Initial mm cartridge thoughts - Me97XE, AT440mla or 150 and Ortofon 2M Bronze, as well as the Goldring 1042 and Nagaokas.

vincula2008
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by vincula2008 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Swap the 3009 over - you may need some small nuts, washers and bolts. For now, retain the rubber grommets on the SME base and don't crush these grommets when fitting - tweaking here can come later if you want to.

An Oscars Audio cork mat is cheap and so is the one from seller 'chizwizzard.' They're fine, dirt cheap and only need to be placed over the stock rubber one for good/better sonics in my experience. The Techie main bearing responds well to EP80 oil and it does eventually creep down into the bearing innards.

Initial mm cartridge thoughts - Me97XE, AT440mla or 150 and Ortofon 2M Bronze, as well as the Goldring 1042 and Nagaokas.
Sound advice, here. I only want to add that Nagaoka tends to be obliterated, especially since the price almost doubled not long ago. There're very good, despite their humble appereance. There's a chap on Ebay Italy selling NOS Nagaoka carts from the prior series. Got a Nagaoka MP20 myself off him a year ago and it ended up on my modified Ariston RD11/Mission 774 Mk I and it just plays music, not hi fi.

I've had several AT models and -as good value as most of them are- I find 'em too bright for my taste, no matter how I play with them. The 1042's a classic, and a no-brainer too, high-output and very detailed but musical, though it's a bit finicky to set up due to its diamond shape (very high quality FG vdh stylus, if I remember correctly). The 2M Bronze doesn't excite me as much as the other two, though I know it's a very good match. I prefer it to the Black. Ortofon usually leaves me a bit cold, despite being married to a Dane. Or maybe that's the reason, you never know... It's very good too, don't get me wrong. One of my friends ditched his AN IQII and bought one. Pity he sold it on eBay and not to me!

You might consider some HOMC's too. The Denon DL 110 works mighty fine straight into a MM 47k load and it sounds much better than its price tag suggests. A Benz Silver's another option, a very refined cartridge. Even a Benz MC 20E2 would do well, if you can find one. Made by Excel for Benz, and far better than one might think.

Just my 2 p.

Regards,

Vincula