Vinyly satisfaction

All general audio posts go here.
MK1LN4E:)
Has thanked: 0

Vinyly satisfaction

Unread post by MK1LN4E:) »

Which MC cartridge offers best value? What should I spend? any advice welcome. I've just purchased a phono 2 complete with 2nd power supply. I could spend up to £600 but ideally don't want to, but if it pays then I would consider. My other option would be to sell the fons and purchase a new spinner. Now some of you ( maybe all ) would say do that! OK so budjet spinner options please. BTY phono is set to MC.
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Vinyly satisfaction

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave (DSJR) will be the best advice on this, but personally I would never use a SME 3009 with a moving coil.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

BUMP - for Dave to answer as he is logged on.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

You won't like my answer, but the deck comes first, then tonearm followed by cartridge (I've proved this in demonstration so many times, so it's as good as 'factual' to me), my advice is to flog the Fons as it's real crap, with a bell-like one-piece platter, flimsy fittings, terrible double-spring suspension and little motor torque and to replace it with something else - SME arm too I think! To fit any MC to this combination is utter madness methinks.

Sorry, but I know this deck rather too well for its liking! There's a rather nice Technics SL150 on ebay for £140 right now.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121959441073? ... EBIDX%3AIT

If the SME is an improved model (I think it has to be to fit the Fons), it'll drop right in and if you use it with lid off and a cork mat on top of the fitted rubber one, you'll get a far, FAR better sound whatever cartridge you use - it's one of the goodie direct drives with no noise or induced transformer hum, unlike the 1210, no servo hunting and a genuinely good sound if used as suggested - I'm about to flog one of my Duals and get the SL150 (with 1500 tonearm) I had back, as I miss it muchly...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by antonio66 »

This one seems to get good reports although I have not heard one and have no connection with the seller. http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.ph ... oka-MP-500. Also this on although you would have to change the armboard.http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SYSTEMDEK-11X ... 2359763417

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Deck first is flat earth ideology.

I am curious dsjr. I presume you would put moving coil on a rega rp6. What is different about this deck.

Additionally. I am certain rega rp6 with a Benz ace in it would beat any turntable with an at95e in it.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Why why why........

Its the old MC is better than MM old school bullshit.......

Buy a wee Goldie 1042 and giggle in the face of Koetsu owners.......

I did - and still do. ;)

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The 1042 is a good cartridge in the right arm. Had one giving sublime sound on a Linn Basic Plus until stolen. My only reservation is that 20 years ago it was a budget £90 and is now over £300. Close to MC territory now. I would tend to suggest that past a certain level of deck/arm a cartridge upgrade may make more sense than other improvements. Best value range I know off is Audio Technica but some people find them too bright (system dependent). For MC I would recommend the AT33 variants which have a smoother top end presentation.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

I've seen a technics sl110 which looks nice, any thoughts in them?
Don't worry Dave you won't upset me I got the deck given to me off a neighbour of my parents. He got it given to him from an old friend who used to play music for their dance lessons before he passed away. I only bought a cheap cartridge to get it singing again and to be fair I've heard worse. But it does have its faults.
AP90SA, TSS, A80, LS6, LS7, Cube 1, Royd Abbot, Ssp mk1,Mk 2, cyrus CD7, Cyrus psxr, Fons CQ30 sme 3009 tone arm, technics sl150, Ortofon blue MM, phono 2 plus second power supply, AP10P, Cube 3, LS3.

Just to note if I buy a replacement it has to aesthetically pleasing to the eye, otherwise it won't get through the front door :hand: :naughty:
Thanks for your input tho guys.