Fora Critique Etiquette

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Fora Critique Etiquette

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

One of my favourite things about hifi fora is genuine people telling genuine tales of what difference a product makes in their system . It is through the collective of these posts that a genuine appreciation of products can be established . H/s as lots of these , Mr Incapies comments on the difference between NVA and Audiolab is one that springs to my mind .

Recently I have been dismayed as to a number of responses on various forums of the kind detailed below
Poster A – I put the new product in my system and the sound was immediately more dynamic . open and vocals far clearer .

Poster b - well of course the amp you are using can be improved it is well dated now .

What purpose does post b serve ?

The person is simply telling what they heard in their system . They are making no claims or generalisations , they are not shilling or spamming . They are not saying that such and such a product is as good as it gets , they are making no recommendations or tying to erect a façade of guru status.

The post is what it is , it doesn’t need qualification is simply needs appreciation that a person as taken the time and trouble to tell others what difference a product made . Readers are not idiots they can tell if a person is being genuine and they can place what the person says in the context of their own experience and make of it what they will .

Similarly I am not one of those people who thinks hifi hobbyists are morons and hear all kinds of improvements simply because they expect to and are fooling themselves in to imagining differences. On the whole if a genuine person tells me they heard a product make such a difference , then I would expect I would also hear the same difference in their system in their room . Of course what I think of the difference may be different .

There are plenty of posts and posters that require critique* without discouraging the genuine person from narrating their own narrative .

That be my moan for today .

*C.F - Pinkys pyscho babble and ill considered ontological meanderings on the AOS burn in thread ;)