room acoustics and treatment

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: room acoustics and treatment

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Replied :geek:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Lindsayt wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:Seems to me that advising someone to get a better house sort of negates the purpose of the forum. There is also the forum disease of buy what I've got sneaking in to this thread.

Flatty replaced epos es11 which have no crossover on the bass unitunit with Sara's. He likes what he likes. My only advise would be to get a better moving coil.
DQ what do you think?

If Flattie were to get a house with a much bigger listening area. And he were to try some different speakers, some of them full sized, do you think he'd be able to get significantly better sound quality than what he's getting now?
What is significantly better ?

the answer is I do not know.

there is no doubt that larger room affords larger speakers and therefore the possibility of more realistic scale . But speaking has some who downsized from a large room & larger speakers , I am quite content in my room [ or I was till my amp blew up ;) ]

I personally do not like near field listening or speakers to large for a room , my own personal opinion is that Martint's speakers are a ridiculous size for his room and flatpopleys are much more proportional .

however if the advise starts to become getter a bigger room , it negates the purpose of the forum .

Flatpopely
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Flatpopely »

I like near field listening. My speakers, room, house allow that. I spend loads of other time on the road so my car is important to.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I've had a couple of large rooms with big speakers and amps. They were great for scale, as DQ observes. They were less good for longer sessions or lower volumes as they tended to deliver something akin to a cinema "big screen" experience. I found this to be too intense an experience to have it on all the time.

On both occasions I ended up with a 2nd system that I listened to more. Whilst the 2nd systems contained and LP12 and Kans, they also had early NVA amps and the whole thing just gelled.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Andrew, how big were your respective rooms and what did you have in terms of source, amps and speakers in yourt larger system?

I know what my favourite speakers are for extended, non-fatiguing, late night, low volume listening sessions. They're not small.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Flatpopely, how many miles a year do you do by car?

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Lindsayt wrote:Andrew, how big were your respective rooms and what did you have in terms of source, amps and speakers in yourt larger system?

I know what my favourite speakers are for extended, non-fatiguing, late night, low volume listening sessions. They're not small.
My biggest room has been approx 25 X 17. Sources at the time were Lp12/Ekos, a Xerxes and two Rocks. CD sources I don't recall accurately but they were always 2nd best on both large and small systems, so I guess it doesn't matter too much. Amps varied, but I do remember running Kelvin labs monos, and MF p270. Speakers were 'bariks, Galstonburys and those big Cambridhe things (R40?) I did have some Apogee Centaurs much later but that was in a smaller room. Worked ok, but still a bit of a high volume thrill ride rather than a long term listen.

My own feeling has been that the bigger amps and speakers have only come alive when asked to reproduce more realistic volume and scale. When asked to do so, they were unsurpassed. I have never listened for hours on end to such systems with the exception of Isobariks, and then that was actually in a later and smaller room......... And with a CD player :shock: ...a Naim CDI

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Lindsayt wrote:Flatpopely, how many miles a year do you do by car?
About 100 miles Driving and about 7 months just siting in it listening to CD's "Near Feild"....... :lol: :guiness;

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

jammy395 wrote:"Near Feild"...
That's in Sligo,i got pissed there once....
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Flatpopely

Unread post by Flatpopely »

jammy395 wrote:
Lindsayt wrote:Flatpopely, how many miles a year do you do by car?
About 100 miles Driving and about 7 months just siting in it listening to CD's "Near Feild"....... :lol: :guiness;
Way more miles.

Never listen to CD in the car.