Glass vs Acrylic Platters

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Glass vs Acrylic Platters

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

guy wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
I've gone off on one - just been for a lovely walk down by the 'Ferry' and feel chilled for the first time in weeks - so there!

http://www.stacey.peak-media.co.uk/feli ... ul2008.htm
apologies for thread drift - but brilliant day in Suffolk, very sunny. Did you go for fish and chips at the ferry?
Not today, although we have done the 50's diner ;) and the other little 'hut' right next to the fishing boats in past months - the pub's too poash for the likes of us and often has Brabus's in the car park ;).... Haven't been out much recently but this afternoon was sublime... Now, if I can stop fecking things up, there'll be more of this...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Glass / Acrylic - 6 & Half a Dozen.
But I do like a thin rubber mat.
:guiness;

Nice day on the Rig, but the only walking I did was up n down stairs.

Martinnj

Unread post by Martinnj »

So "The Kestrels are funny things" interesting. I have owned them from new in 1998 when I brought them with the Rega Mira from Infidelity in Kingston upon Thames. my wife picked them out and the dealer thought they were a good match, and indeed they did look nice in the Yew finish that they were purchased in and sounded better than what they were compared to in the listening test, can't remember what they were auditioned against. They are nice and compact and not too fussy replacement in a room and I have never found them harsh at the treble end of things but I have also never thought they were letting the system down either....
Is there a compact, non fussy in placement speaker, good for the eyes of a wife, speaker you would recommend auditioning?
Curious.....
Martin
Systemdek IIX/Akito - Angle Audio Phono Amp - Rega Planet CD - Apple iMac via AppleTV and Rega DAC- Rega Mira/Maia Bi-Amp (Clamshell) - Musical Technology Kestrel
Cables - Super Sound Cord, Optical; Van Den Hul Optocoupler
Speaker Cables - NVA LS5

Martinnj

Unread post by Martinnj »

Thinking back to my first venture into the world of hifi, I brought a starter system from Billy Vee, way back when, which was a Dual 505, Rotel Amp and JPW P1 speakers. I have to say I really miss the P1's they were great for the money...
Systemdek IIX/Akito - Angle Audio Phono Amp - Rega Planet CD - Apple iMac via AppleTV and Rega DAC- Rega Mira/Maia Bi-Amp (Clamshell) - Musical Technology Kestrel
Cables - Super Sound Cord, Optical; Van Den Hul Optocoupler
Speaker Cables - NVA LS5

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Kestrels were superb in their wooden veneer finishes and really, should have been the thick end of a grand the pair with the optional cast bases.

Have a look at Cube 2's and try to find some nice stands for them. If pics look ok, I can send the loan pair to you to try for yourself. You won't need the second power amp right now, so simply use the Mira on its own...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...