New Technics 1200

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

New Technics 1200

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

As you have no doubt seen elsewhere , Technics are reintroducing the SL1200.

As I am just a PT using numpty I have nothing of interest to say on this matter but I am surprised by those that do even though they have yet to hear it .

I have however read with amusement .

1] Those current techy owners apoplexy at Technics press release for the new turntable . Apparently the previous one suffered from marked motor cogging and the new one doesn't .

2] Those that rely on modifications of the old techy rubbishing the new turntable already.

I do not know how bad the old one was , but here is toddler dq pointing to a graphic representation [needledrop] of the techy's motor :lol:

he is smiling because he knows his daddy owns a PT ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: New Technics 1200

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'm more concerned about what the cat's thinking :lol:

The 'old' quartz techie had a complex servo system I understand that all but eliminated the so called cogging issue, although maybe the regulator and servo circuit probably had to work hard for their money. The high-drag MN bearing may well have been a mechanical blessing here for all I know - and I don't think we ever got the full details on this as DC chose to withhold his measurements - or was this just on the ETP platter?

Papst developed a similar direct drive motor as used by Dual and the latter made a huge thing about the smooth transition of the ring-magnet poles? over the lateral coils underneath.

Good luck to Technics. I suspect they've learned a bit from the good and bad add-ons made for the obsolete model and I dare say the new models will appeal to domestic users more and not just the DJ fraternity that kept it alive for over thirty years...

Pink Triangle? With toddler DQ around, I'm amazed that you haven't taken shares in Super-Glue or Bison adhesives to hold the deck together as they were so frail ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

he is smiling because he knows his daddy owns a PT ;) (DQ)

Well i think the poor lad's both ashamed and traumatised, and his drawing is obviously a cry for help...... :lol: :guiness;

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

And the cats thinking "can I eat it".

Daniel Quinn

beobloke posted this on the wham pertaining to old and new techy

"I'm not saying that you can't improve on the performance of the standard deck by modifying it, but I just really don't see the point. Go to any Halfords car park at a weekend and you'll see Citroen Saxos, Vauxhall Corsas and the like that have been lowered, tuned, and tweaked beyond all recognition. Yes they may be faster than they were before and possibly even handle better (although I somehow doubt it...) but why would you bother - why not just buy a better car in the first place?!

When I started espousing the delights of the SL-1200 it retailed for around £349 and I still cannot think of another deck at the same price that I would rather have had, were I spending that money. Yes, it benefitted greatly from a mat change and a better headshell helped things along too, but it would happily use the likes of an Audio Technica AT-F5 MC and sound superb - it was still pretty much standard but it 'sang' all the same. That much maligned arm really isn't all that bad when used in the right context - after all, a Rega RB250 is a damn fine budget arm but you wouldn't bolt a Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement into it and expect sonic nirvana would you? So, equally, it seems churlish to complain that the SL1200 arm doesn't really get the best out of an Ortofon Cadenza Black or something similar - it was never designed to!

When the first modification ideas came along I heard quite a few of them and some were fairly good but, ultimately, I never thought they were really any great shakes. Certainly by the time you've taken the update route that is available now and changed the bearing, platter, PSU, feet and goodness knows what else, you could have bought a nicely serviced SP10. I know which I'd rather have...

Now as marco's lips are always planted on beoblokes arse , one wonders why he didn't post it on Aos :lol: :lol:

I also like the sentence " When I started espousing the delights of the SL-1200" His he claiming to be a pioneer [ pun intended ] ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I first was re-awakened to the SL1200's continued existence by Ken Kessler in a late 80's FHN article. Adam Smith's alright and I have a lot of respect for him. I've bought stuff from him and we've exchanged good emails occasionally...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

I make no comment as to him as a person , I do not know him .Only what he writes.

most of that is bollocks ,anodyne or blokey jokey because he as to play the reviewer game and thus his ability to be honest is hamstrung .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

I found that most of what he writes has some bearing in truth, although he is a reviewer granted with a living to earn.

Daniel Quinn

there is no truth in hifi only opinion ;)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Daniel Quinn wrote:there is no truth in hifi only opinion ;)
:Bllocks: