Cambridge CXC CD-transport

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Cambridge CXC CD-transport

Unread post by Fretless »

Took the tiny (but faulty) Pro-ject CD Box S player back this morning to my friendly neighbourhood HiFi shop. The sound of it had really woken up a desire to get a better CD player in my system, but I only actually need a transport as everything runs via the DAC at the moment.

Recently arrived in the shop was the new Cambridge Audio (just called 'Cambridge' now) CX series. An affordable high-end line that sits between the Topaz budget range and the expensive Azur series. The flagship CD player is the Azur 851C that features a bespoke CD transport and the S3 servo control. Only problem there is that it costs about 1200 pounds.
What the boffins at Cambridge have done is to take everything else out of the player, leaving only the CD-drive, S3 unit and a chunky toroidal transformer PSU - resulting in the digital-only output CXC CD transport. Same CD performance, a quarter of the price.

So I took one home to audition it - and it's not going back! Full review coming shortly. :dance:

Last edited by Fretless on Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cambridge CXC CD-transport

Unread post by wallace »

That's my kind of box,nearly empty,i look forward to your review... :epop:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I noticed this new product a few weeks ago. Looks very interesting.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

fafarskid

Unread post by fafarskid »

Nice choice.

Fretless
Netherlands

In a word - stunning.

Whereas many audio enthusiasts are firmly rooted in the analogue/turntable/vinyl world, for me it has been more about the CD/digital side of things. And now that the CD begins to fall out of grace (and vinyl returns) this format will also become a part of the realm of hobbyists and collectors.

My latest CD player was a Kenwood DP4090 which, like most other players from the 80's and 90's, relied on oversampling & error correction to fix the gaps in the data retrieved from the disc and then to repair the signal enough to make sure that it didn't sound too bad. The Kenwood has a feature called D.R.I.V.E which applies digital filtering to the signal in order enhance low-level information - and the result is really very enjoyable.

More recent, higher-end players have gone about this a different way. Using tailored servo-motor systems tuned to CD playback, these monitor the activity of the drive and laser head in order to retrieve the absolute maximum of information from the disc and reduce the need for extensive rebuilding of the data into something approximating the original music. The Project CD Box S player takes this approach with special drive and servo control created by StreamUnlimited, and the Cambridge CXC does this as well.

The CXC is a stripped-down version of Cambridge's top-of -the line Azur player. The CD-transport and Cambridge's own S3 servo controller have been put into a chique metal box with a hefty toroidal transformer. All this thing does is play CD's - no MP3, no DVD. Basic and functional.

But - it's just a transport that has a digital-only output, so an outboard DAC is essential. Hooking up the CXC through my main rig was an immediate surprise. So that is what CD can sound like! I have had several quantum leaps in digital playback reproduction in the last half year with a number of CD players passing through and then the RPi network players. Each time a definite improvement is noticed. Having come to the conclusion that a file-based system will beat a CD transport every time in terms of stability and detail I am now forced to say that this isn't true.

The CXC presents the music in an open, unforced, relaxed, detailed and dynamic manner that is for me a totally new experience. It really feels like every scrap of music is being pulled off the CD's. I'm currently in a Mike Oldfield cycle, comparing his newest remixes with the older editions, and even the original 80's pressings are sounding very fine, with new layers of detail being revealed for the first time.

Handling wise. The CXC is cosmetically very smart. Has a solid drawer mechanism that clunks in and out in a businesslike way. A luxury remote is included that also controls the rest of the CX system. This player's limitation is that it does one thing only - read CD's to digital output. But it does that magnificently.
Last edited by Fretless on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Nice review - thank you! :)

Why didn't you buy the black one?! Your OCD has not yet reached the necessary levels my young Padawan :lol:

I am considering a CXC since your first post; or perhaps this which removes all the need for discs at all: http://www.brennan.co.uk/

Some thinking to do I have.

Fretless
Netherlands

My local shop only had a silver demo model. I grabbed it to have a listen and am too pleased with it to give it back! :dance:

Don't know the Brennan. Looks like a good one-box solution. Several of us here have been playing with the Raspberry Pi as a file-based player. Sounds great and costs peanuts. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

George Hincapie

I bought a Synology NAS and two WD Red HDDs months ago, but have never gotten around to doing anything with them.

The Brennan is a Raspberry Pi, albeit in a fancy chassis with a display. I really ought to learn how to use RPi.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Interesting.

So far as I am concerned the Raspberry Pi Plus a DAC board is pretty much the baseline for digital music - but then again I've not used a CD player for years now. Maybe it's time to try again?

George - if you haven't tried the Pi/DAC combo - it's pretty cheap and not to difficult to get going with with a bit of computer knowledge and patience.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

George Hincapie

terrybooth wrote:George - if you haven't tried the Pi/DAC combo - it's pretty cheap and not to difficult to get going with with a bit of computer knowledge and patience.
Point me in the right direction please Terry! :guiness;

Can I SPDIF from the Pi to my own DAC?