Which DAC?

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Which DAC?

Unread post by antonio66 »

antonio66 wrote:I took a look on fleabay and for some reason my links are not working but have listed a few for you to look at:-
Buffalo Dac 11
Resonessence Labs Concero
Benchmark Audio Dac 1
Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 21
Naim Audio but they are like marmite.
I have been using a Micromega Mydac which if you enjoyed the Musical Fidelity this would be one to avoid and your probably looking for one in a higher price bracket.
Good luck with your search
Sorry got it into my head you had Musical Fidelity dac, not Audiolab so ignore my comment on Micromega. I would say +1 for the above Teddy Pardo

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Stemcor1990 wrote: Teddy's marketing technique is the same as the Docs.

Available from his website, you can add a volume control and a 192 board. There are also options for various output sockets so you can order exactly what you need.
To me, he seems to use Naim's pricing policy though, sadly.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I was going to say that but it sounded like sour grapes. But Teddy Pardoe is not like me, he charges you at retail price but doesn't use retailers and keeps it all himself (like Russ Andrews), where as the *honest* way to sell direct is to supply all users at trade price, which is what I do.

George Hincapie

Unread post by George Hincapie »

Thank you gents.

Sadly the Teddy Pardo is a little more than I can afford to spend at the moment, so I shall look at the Beresford options as a stop gap. Which is the better performer; the Caiman or Bushmaster? Can't believe how cheap they are? Incredible...

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

The Caiman is more versatile ,but more expensive,it depends what you want it to do,and whether you need a usb socket.Also i got my money back when i sold my MkI on ebay. :dance:It's worth having a chat with him in case he has a few bargains he wants to shift,and if you are a pensioner don't forget to mention it....
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

George Hincapie

I want it supply it the feed from my CD63 and a Tidal HIFI stream (either by USB or by USB to a USB/SPDIF converter).

Which DAC chips does he use?

George Hincapie

Also, a complete lack of understanding on my part, but why would the use of a battery improve the performance of a DAC? Surely power is power? What difference does it make?

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Look at homehifi.co.uk,i don't think he will tell anybody what chips he uses.What info there is ,is on his website...As for battery power,search me !,some people seem to think it sounds better,can't be bothered myself,it works very well with the wallwart.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

George Hincapie

Super. Thanks for the response Wallace. I have sent him an e-mail; at that price either option appears to be a steal.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I am curious how the Beresford will sound in comparison to the more expensive M-DAC.
Let us know what you think of it. :grin:

The battery discussion is that 'clean' DC power to a DAC slightly improves the SQ and big linear transformers (or batteries) give a more stable supply than a wall-wart that 'switches' with the AC (50 hz). I use a battery supply with my Pi micro computer and a subtle difference (better defined, more solid soundfield) is audible on a very revealing system.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450