Which DAC?

All general audio posts go here.
George Hincapie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Which DAC?

Unread post by George Hincapie »

The auction for my M-DAC ends tomorrow. I need a replacement to complement my system (P50SA, 2 x Audiolab 8000M, Marantz CD63, SSC, LS5, Cube 2); what should I consider?

TIA.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Which DAC?

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have always liked this, and it is not part of the hi-fi rip-off as it is from a computer tech company https://www.asus.com/Essence-Hi-Fi-Audi ... sence_One/

It can be used as a pre as well but my opinion is don't, that is just commercial added value that can be ignored, it stands on it own as a very good DAC.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

If you can afford it, then my Hegel HD12 is one I can wholeheartedly recommend. A small, no-frills, black box with astonishing sound quality.

Seriously high-end performance: clear, neutral, dynamic, (ultra) quiet and built in Norway.
Blew my MF M1DAC into the dust :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

For the best sound per pound i have yet to hear a better one than Stan's Bushmaster MkII,plus,like the Doc's kit,if you don't like it you can send it back for a full refund.Worth a listen anyway.It's the cheapest and best one that i have owned. :techie-hiding: :twocents-mytwocents:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I still rate the Rega DAC, as it always puts the music first and allows you to hear what the musicians are actually playing in a 'musical' sense. Makes earlier Stan-DACs (even the mk1 Caiman) sound small, almost 'one-note' and rather insignificant in comparison.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I still rate the Rega DAC, as it always puts the music first and allows you to hear what the musicians are actually playing in a 'musical' sense. Makes earlier Stan-DACs (even the mk1 Caiman) sound small, almost 'one-note' and rather insignificant in comparison.
I have not heard the Rega Dac,but i must agree that Stan's early models were as you describe,but his new models are a totally different design,and sound it.Definitely worth a listen.My Bushmaster is almost an empty box compared,allways a good sign i think... :mrgreen: But not as empty as a naim flatcap :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I've got a Caiman Dac (early) and a basic Asus Dac (there are different flavours of it).For me the Asus sounds better all round.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

wallace wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I still rate the Rega DAC, as it always puts the music first and allows you to hear what the musicians are actually playing in a 'musical' sense. Makes earlier Stan-DACs (even the mk1 Caiman) sound small, almost 'one-note' and rather insignificant in comparison.
I have not heard the Rega Dac,but i must agree that Stan's early models were as you describe,but his new models are a totally different design,and sound it.Definitely worth a listen.My Bushmaster is almost an empty box compared,allways a good sign i think... :mrgreen: But not as empty as a naim flatcap :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Great to know :grin:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

I took a look on fleabay and for some reason my links are not working but have listed a few for you to look at:-
Buffalo Dac 11
Resonessence Labs Concero
Benchmark Audio Dac 1
Musical Fidelity Tri Vista 21
Naim Audio but they are like marmite.
I have been using a Micromega Mydac which if you enjoyed the Musical Fidelity this would be one to avoid and your probably looking for one in a higher price bracket.
Good luck with your search

Stemcor1990
Great Britain

Unread post by Stemcor1990 »

I use a teddy pardo dac. Plenty of reviews on the web and they are all positive. Teddy's marketing technique is the same as the Docs.

Available from his website, you can add a volume control and a 192 board. There are also options for various output sockets so you can order exactly what you need.