Been thanked: 0

Re: high-end gear

Unread post by jammy395 »

Thanks for the insite Dave - Apprieciated. :clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

(unless I'm mistaken, half the transistors around the input don't carry the signal, but work as current mirrors for those that do!)

You are not mistaken.

Orc 201267

Unread post by Orc 201267 »

You know the other day me and the wife were in Preston so I nipped in to a HiFi shop think it was audio t just to have a look around at speakers and there size
Any way we get caught by one off the sales team the usual questions were asked,,,so we end up upstairs with a mid top range naim stack at the side off me and some PMC speakers looking at me he puts the music on we sit there for 30 mins and look at each other and say that's shit init the sales man face was a picture
I give the man his due he was in shock I think but he accepted our statement I asked him how much that naim stack comes to something like 30 grand off equipment and it sounded shite real shite
My humble 5 sounds better it might not have the massive sound stage but the details were all there as the 30 grand stuff
I think in part its down to I've got this its better than yours it must be because I paid x amount for it and they say it won 6 stars in this mag
The naim statement came out last year a stupid amount of money the usual naim freeks went out and bought then at 50 grand for a pre amp then there's the power amps then the cables
There's now 3 sets up for sale second hand can't be that good can they but naim must be laffing all the way to the bank
Just my thoughts that's all
Life is to short to do all the things I want to do

alfafan123

Unread post by alfafan123 »

Somewhat at the other end of the scale, in more ways than one, but had to laugh as I understand that Linn have increased the price of the LP12 drive belt from £18 to £50!!! Glad I sold my LP12, how can that be justified? :lol:

Just thought I would mention it as it would add grist to RDs mill!

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Glad you like yer naim 5 Orc - Like you say you dont need to go daft with the dosh too enjoy a fine system.
Naim are loosing the plot altogether.

£50 fof a big Lazzie Band. :doh:

Orc 201267

Yep I had read about that for years you could pick them up at 18 quid but now its shot up to 50 quid someone's taking the piss
Let's jump one the vinyl band wagon whilst we can

Orc 201267

I've been down that road to many times jammy spent stupid amounts (to me anyway I'm from Yorkshire) on HiFi then think its still shit this the worst was a pair of pro nine plus speakers from avi they were real shite but I paid for em so it was my choice at the time I just got sucked in at the time

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Easy to get sucked in, just look at that photo in the caption thread.

:shifty:

BillyBones
Great Britain

Unread post by BillyBones »

About 18 months ago I went to a vinyl evening at Audio T in Manchester. The featured album was by Nick Drake Bryter Layter which I love. I quite fancied having a listen on a high end system, as I'd never heard a "high end" system before, and one that I could never afford unless my 6 numbers came up.

The system was a Rega RP10 with an expensive MC cartridge, a Rega phono amp, pair of PMC Twenty.26 speakers and Naim amplification.

All in all about £20K worth of system ( and that's not including the very expensive Chord speaker cable they were using. )

To be fair, it sounded good to me, but there again if I'd paid £20K on hi-fi it damn well should do. The funny thing was though, after about 30 minutes the Naim stopped working! Apparently it had over heated and cut out. Pretty embarrassing and not a great advert for £10K's worth of Naim Pre/Power amps.

Anyway it was an interesting evening and I returned home to my little Dansette. :grin:

Orc 201267

The amp in question was a 300 me thinks and that alone is 10 grand me thinks it happend at the preston night as well