Koetsu cartridges.

All general audio posts go here.
Progmeister
Great Britain

Koetsu cartridges.

Unread post by Progmeister »

Are Koetsu cartridges worth the money? I do realise that they are manufactured i relatively small numbers and hand made etc etc but is their sound quality really worth stupid price tags or is it down to kudos and status? The old oneupmanship bullshit. I say this because i recently had the opportunity to hear a Koetsu Rosewood which sounded pretty good though in a blind test on the same turntable i preferred an Audio Technica OC9 MLIII. I can't help thinking there's a lot of elitist shite being written about Koetsu cartridges. I'll get me coat............. :angry-soapbox:
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Koetsu cartridges.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Applemarc has got a good one.

There are some real sleepers out there. I payed about a tenner for the cart I am using at the moment on a whim, not expecting it to be any good, and it is very good, ask Dave DSJR. Ebay is fun trying cheap carts when you find a sleeper.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Progmeister wrote:Are Koetsu cartridges worth the money? I do realise that they are manufactured i relatively small numbers and hand made etc etc but is their sound quality really worth stupid price tags or is it down to kudos and status? The old oneupmanship bullshit. I say this because i recently had the opportunity to hear a Koetsu Rosewood which sounded pretty good though in a blind test on the same turntable i preferred an Audio Technica OC9 MLIII. I can't help thinking there's a lot of elitist shite being written about Koetsu cartridges. I'll get me coat............. :angry-soapbox:
It's the same as everything else Prog, you'll either like them or you won't, you won't know until you try it in your kit. I've tried the Black and the Rosewood. I really loved the sound quality, (accurate? who knows and I don't really care), but tracking on both was quite poor on tougher tracks. Also, TT's/arms are just so variable that you can't make sweeping statements, what works for one won't for another as always.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

I’m going to try to answer this if I can

Many years ago I had a Roksan Xerxes with an SME V tone arm and Koetsu Rosewood I thought this combination was great and the Koetsu was about £900 a bit cheaper than the arm. Then my dealer at the time The Sound Organization London said I should listen to the SME 20 and in due course bought the 20 also they had a client that had bought a Lyra Parnassus but it did not work well in his system would I like a trade swop one for the other. I listened to both and agreed a straight swop at this time my Koetsu was almost 3 years old the Parnassus was 6 months old. Well after about 3 month I began to wish I had not done the deal I found the Parnassus to be a bit clinical with the SME setup but funds where low so I kept it. Anyway some years later my son aged about 6 decided he wanted to use my Turntable and managed to break the Parnassus it was insured so I bought a replacement Koetsu Rosewood the price had shot up so not a signature. I have since changed that rosewood to the Jade Platinum which now costs stupid money here I got it as I had a trade and the dealer thought it was just a Jade not the Jade platinum his lost.
So for me it’s not about one up man ship I like the sound the main problem is where can you here different cartridges the likes of
Van Den Hull, Kieski, Koetsu, Lyra and Grado just to name a couple
But you can buy a Koetsu from Japan for half the UK cost
Beresford Caiman Ipod

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

They DO have a special quality about them that's hard to describe, when on song the hairs on the back of your neck bristle. The high frequencies on many cartridges "sparkle" the Koetsus I listened to "twinkled" don't know if you'll get what I'm talking about ! :lol:
I can, of course, only describe in the context of the few cartridges I've used.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

applemarc

Yes I understand but they do have to be setup properly. But I would have a real problem paying UK prices for them someone is making a huge profit on the sale of the
Beresford Caiman Ipod

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I've only ever bought second hand, until now.

applemarc

Buying a cartridge is very hard now you just can't compare
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

when it comes to cartridges , I am bordering on the objective because they seem to be bestowed with magical or mythical qualities .

they have five parts [ 6 if you count cartridge pins] they turn kinetic energy in to electrical energy via the use of magnets and a conductor , usually copper .

Accordingly they are the sum of their parts no more /no less and for me they can be judged on these parts .

I prefer boron cantilevers with fine line diamond mounted on the tip ,I find this preferable to aluminium cantilevers that are bent in to shape of a L and the dimond is pushed through a hole . I find these are more dynamic , airy , crisp and sparkly .

I have had a sapphire cantilever on a ZYX is was good and I liked it but I have a suspicion sapphire is more fragile .

It is no coincidence that all major cartridge manufactures swap aluminium for boron as they go up the price range -both ortofon and Audio technica do . The OC9 III as a boron cantilever

I doubt very much that fine jewelled cantilevers bring much else to the table .similarly exotic magnets or exotic coils .

Beyond 1k I have difficulty understanding what any cartridge brings to the table that a good one below 1k does, I suspect it would be a difference I could live without given their inherent fragility and built in obsolescence.

I have an AT95E at home , it is so far away from a good moving coil that I simply cannot listen to it .

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Well, unless you try for yourself, you will never KNOW conclusively, simple as that.
I personally wouldn't pay more than a grand for a cartridge either.