Upgraded power cables - the truth

All general audio posts go here.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Re: Upgraded power cables - the truth

Unread post by kimangelis »

Right... drop the background noise/post 10.00pm phenomenon.

About the IEC sockets and mains cables. Do you feel I might be better off removing or by-passing the IEC socket and having a competent person wire-in a decent (NVA-type) mains cable instead of using a so-so cable pushed into an IEC socket?

Thanks....
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Metal case with earth lead attached to case is ClassI https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes. This should have a plug and socket, the old Bulgin ones used by Quad and Leak would be better than IEC but that is now the industry standard. ClassII must have a fixed hard wired mains lead with *NO* case earth because it is double insulated, and IEC sockets are single insulated in themselves so void the regs, fitting a case earth if it is a double insulated metal case (rare) again voids the regs.

The BIG problem per usual is ignorant prats on forums who prattle and recommend without knowledge. What make me most cross is eeeeeeediots who fit IEC connectors on my mains leads or cases and void my compliance with CE. It means I would have to go through the hassle of proving some prat had done it and not me if I am pulled up on it.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Thank you Richard. All is now clear.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Another interesting thing again that the prats don't realise is that if an item they buy is designed for a walmart type plugin power supply they will almost certainly be classIII and this has been done for cheapness and to avoid CE. Upgrading to larger proper linear power supplies voids the classIII regs so if recommended by the manufacturer then he is breaking the law, and the item is unsafe. And to make it legal it would have to be rebuilt as classII double insulated. Often these (often) regulated power supplies sold as add ons for walmart fitted products break the regulations as well. It is a dogs dinner, and people are playing with both legal and safety factors without even knowing it - ignorance rules yet again, especially at AoS with all their daft upgrades.

antonio66

Unread post by antonio66 »

It would seem the consensus here would be power cables make if anything only a subtle difference and I would agree although I have only used the lower end eg Music Works and homemade. I do know somebody when purchasing a new pre amp also bought a very expensive cable (ok £2000 ) and this was done on a home dem. He did say this was a worthwhile improvement and I would trust his judgement on vfm. I will stick up for Mark Grant cables I still use these on various equipment and replaced an old pair of Linn interconnects with the Mark Grants and found a noticeable improvement in sq. I know I have still to try SSP. :lol: