Upgraded power cables - the truth

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Upgraded power cables - the truth

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'm sure they could (and haven't explored deeply as it's not an important thing for me), but Mark doesn't charge much for making them, the raw materials used seem good quality and I wanted to try one - and kept it, so no lost sleep here. WhatI react to is an old mate telling me a Transparent 'budget' mains cable costing a mere £750 is the dogs danglies. Now THAT I do question, when I could buy a BMU and have change for that kind of figure!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So Mark Grant is a good bloke because he doesn't rip you off quite as much as MCRU etc do.

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

Not sure 'rip off' is quite right - you can try the things and send them back if they do nothing.

I suppose if the manufacturer thinks they do nothing but sells them anyway then it is dodgier ground. But there is no evidence that is the case

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

Mark G seems to have reduced his cable range both on eBay and his own web site. He just doesn't offer interconnects now or much in the way of mains cabling.

One wonders why
AtoZ

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Macca wrote:Not sure 'rip off' is quite right - you can try the things and send them back if they do nothing.

I suppose if the manufacturer thinks they do nothing but sells them anyway then it is dodgier ground. But there is no evidence that is the case
This would mean you are prepared to extend him the benefit of the doubt and also undermine your own views as to the efficacy of mains cable . That's a serious fence sitting conundrum you find yourself with their ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

One mans fence sitting is another mans open mind ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Macca wrote:Not sure 'rip off' is quite right - you can try the things and send them back if they do nothing.

You may be right but I suppose I am prejudiced because so many of the *tits* on AoS support him.

*-* I would add this is a small but very vocal percentage of AoS membership.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Daniel Quinn wrote:

This would mean you are prepared to extend him the benefit of the doubt and also undermine your own views as to the efficacy of mains cable . That's a serious fence sitting conundrum you find yourself with their ;)

I agree. But my current view is not set in stone - if someone can demonstrate the efficacy of mains cables to my satisfaction that view will change.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Here are my mains cables experiments - all over a number of years.

1. Installed two dedicated (from different circuit breakers in the same box) radial circuits to non-switched MK 13 amp sockets using cooker (30 amp) cable. This made things a bit better (I think - but never tried a direct A to B comparison - using Exposure amps with captive mains leads)
2. Bought a IEC mains lead made by a chap in Leeds from 4mm silver coated cable. I think this made a bit of a difference (used with a NAIM CDI)
3. Bought a BMU. This made a large and very easily audible difference (see my write up on this site).

What I want to do next is build a BMU into a dedicated mains supply for my music system.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

paskinner

Unread post by paskinner »

Daniel Quinn wrote:
paskinner wrote:A confession, I can't be bothered to try different mains cables. I can't really be bothered to play around very much with signal cables either. I know they can sound a bit different, but there seems to little relationshop with cost. I increasingly take the view that small differences are just that...small.
Get the speaker and room right. Then work backwards, ensure the amps match the speaker; it is all pretty obvious really. There are major differences, but they start with the room.
I find this slightly amusing . You have a 15k TT . :grin: ''

There's plenty of obvious reasons why a well designed turntable might be worth spending serious money on. There are equally obvious reasons (physics and common sense) why the same doesn't apply to mains cables. In practice, to suit your 'Marxist' leanings (seriously?) I might point out that the current second hand price of my deck is about what I paid for it six years ago, So it has 'cost. me very little indeed.
And I still think the influence of the room/speakers is paramount. The error is to assume that this means that other things don't matter. I didn't say that, just that they matter rather less in any objective sense. A poor cartridge is a poor cartridge, a poor amp is a poor amp, and so on.
''All bits of hi fi gear are equal, but some are more equal than others''.