Upgraded power cables - the truth

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Upgraded power cables - the truth

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Addenda - The thing that surprised me was digital cable. I fully expected that to make no difference, but it does, well in S/PDIF at the very least. Now whether it does the same with USB or other data transfer I really do not know, but with normal audio digital cabling it is about as much difference as with analogue cabling.

paskinner
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by paskinner »

A confession, I can't be bothered to try different mains cables. I can't really be bothered to play around very much with signal cables either. I know they can sound a bit different, but there seems to little relationshop with cost. I increasingly take the view that small differences are just that...small.
Get the speaker and room right. Then work backwards, ensure the amps match the speaker; it is all pretty obvious really. There are major differences, but they start with the room.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Both the speaker first and the source first doctrines are marketing bullshit put out by manufacturers to tie you into a path. EVERYTHING in a system is equal importance.

So where do you start, well by buying a hi-fi listening and learning, replacing and trying in the comfort of you home and keep the system progressing. BUT just because a change didn't show benefit at the progress stage of your current system, don't close your mind, don't presume as your system progresses this will always be so.

AND it should always be pleasure, if the pleasure of musical progress goes then stop, enjoy what you have. It requires some intelligence so as not to be sucked in by the bullshitters and egotists, follow your own path and ears. So much money has been duped out of people it borders on being criminal, don't be a victim.

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

It is encouraging to see several voices on that AoS thread are saying that mains cables make little or no different to the sound of their system. Lets hope the StOwner stays on holiday.
AtoZ

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

alfer wrote:I played with enhanced cables but for me made zero difference. I'd be facinated to sit with someone who does hear mains cable difference and have myself educated to what I have been missing.
I do find myself in the same camp. I've tried a fancy mains lead purchased second-hand purely because I thought I should. Science says it should have no effect whatsoever but it is a fact that science has been wrong before. So I gave it a go - in fact I have swapped it in and out on several occasions. If it does make a difference it is not audible to me.

The main thing that puzzles me is that people do not claim subtle differences, the sort of differences that could be imaginary/placebo. They claim big differences. So I too would like to sit down with one of these people and have this demonstrated. I'd be happy to admit I am wrong - if I am.

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

Macca wrote:
alfer wrote:I played with enhanced cables but for me made zero difference. I'd be facinated to sit with someone who does hear mains cable difference and have myself educated to what I have been missing.
I do find myself in the same camp. I've tried a fancy mains lead purchased second-hand purely because I thought I should. Science says it should have no effect whatsoever but it is a fact that science has been wrong before. So I gave it a go - in fact I have swapped it in and out on several occasions. If it does make a difference it is not audible to me.

The main thing that puzzles me is that people do not claim subtle differences, the sort of differences that could be imaginary/placebo. They claim big differences. So I too would like to sit down with one of these people and have this demonstrated. I'd be happy to admit I am wrong - if I am.
D'accord. I hope more of AoS can speak of their similar none experience. Free speech one each.

People who claim big differences claim big differences for everything they try. It might be their nature
AtoZ

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It seems to be a Scottish Mafia mass brainwash - too many visits to MCRU or too much McEwans. But they do seem to have strange tastes in a lot of things :roll:

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Addenda - The thing that surprised me was digital cable. I fully expected that to make no difference, but it does, well in S/PDIF at the very least. Now whether it does the same with USB or other data transfer I really do not know, but with normal audio digital cabling it is about as much difference as with analogue cabling.
I can confirm that USB cabling, like SPDIF coax, does have an audible effect on the quality of sound produced - a matter of jitter reduction. Best I have heard yet is from Supra, followed by Audioquest Cinnamon.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

paskinner wrote:A confession, I can't be bothered to try different mains cables. I can't really be bothered to play around very much with signal cables either. I know they can sound a bit different, but there seems to little relationshop with cost. I increasingly take the view that small differences are just that...small.
Get the speaker and room right. Then work backwards, ensure the amps match the speaker; it is all pretty obvious really. There are major differences, but they start with the room.
I find this slightly amusing . You have a 15k TT . :grin:

My philosophy stems from being a Marxist tight arse . First question I ask when buying anything - is why does it cost that much , is there anything as good that costs less and can I do it myself . That is why my PT is a lovely carbon fibre and balsa sandwhich top plate that only cost me £100 and a 4 hour operation to re-attach my thumb :lol:

I love tweaking , it is generally a cheap way to go about things and I have tried everything . I have soldered new mains lead on to all of my hifi [except the nva amps] and never noticed a difference . I once bought a John Westlake designed export gti power supply of ebay for £100 and blew it up the same day it arrived by soldering a mains lead to it that was to thick :doh: It is still in the shed somewhere never used .

The doc is right , you have to find your own path , mine was to try every thing going to satisfy my curiosity and learn , now I would not have a fancy mains cable given to me . Mains cable are the sin qua non of all that is wrong with hifi and for the ultimate exemplar I give you MarinT's review of mcru mains lead . ;)

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

[tabs][tabs: ] I use a Mark Grant mains cable on the downstairs setup, which is a high current rating type of the type I don't think you can buy in a hardware shop[/tabs]

Most decent electrical contractor will have high current cable of various types they are usually happy to supply for their standard markup
Beresford Caiman Ipod