How big a problem is interference?

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

How big a problem is interference?

Unread post by selby »

As my system evolves I want to tick off that I'm doing as much right as I can based on my system and the location of the system.

I know in an ideal world the amp(s) and sources would be on the floor, with cables all beautifully spaced out however in most living rooms that's not possible. I've even seen people isolating cables off the floor (WTF is that about).

My current setup is part of the overall room entertainment so it includes:

Sony Blu-Ray, Sky HD Box, Wireless Router, TV, AP70 and speakers and LS6. The Sky box, Blu-Ray and TV all have Ethernet connections, all obviously also have power so it's a fair mix of electrical signals. The cables are as tidy as I can get them while keeping them apart as much possible behind a TV unit. The amp is powered by a dedicated non-switched MK socket, the rest by another socket via a standard 6 gang.

Based on this typical house setup how much of a problem is RFi or crosstalk? Is there anything that can be done to minimise interference, I know that the Docs superduper TIS cables have a kind of faraday cage solution. Is there anything that normal cables could be run through to isolate them both from electrical/wireless and physical interference?

Or is it all just :Bllocks: and it doesn't matter and RFi and cable isolation has just been made up to sell ridiculous products like this:

Thoughts?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: How big a problem is interference?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Steve T may disagree, but the sole reason in all honesty for the cable stands as in your pic is to make them look tidy - and for some OCD types, this is enough to get them a 'better' sound!

In your case, a BMU for the Hifi may well help - wire the other gubbins into the 6-way, which itself could be upgraded to the Mark Grant one, which uses his excellent high-current mains cable (the BMU also has a chunkier mains cable on it)! Do both is my suggestion, but the BMU should have priority in my opinion (I had to buy the original demo unit as I found I preferred it in situ).

I do this and only pass it on as it's sort of in-subject. Get some cable ferrites and clip them over the mains cables, especially of the AV stuff with smps. Wall warts can be treated the same, as the thin wires can be wrapped a few times around one half of the ferrite before closing it shut. These ferrites are very cheap and when I started using them, I 'imagined' the bass got better, but the 'effect' lessened the more I used (I had very long mains leads to the active speakers on the one hand, and another to a distribution block for pre, turntable, tape and CD at the other, in the Luton house and these things helped. I sort of carried on using them as I didn't feel they took any music away, even here with better mains.

For the main source, I can also recommend a TIS. At some point, I'm going to have to tap the Doc up for a 1m set to go with the half metre set I already bought. It combines the best of the other cables I use elsewhere in the systems I run and I like it very much!

As for crosstalk or rfi, please don't worry too much. A dedicated mains feed for the audio system only is the OCD way to go and if the mains inlet to your property is easy to access from the place the audio system is, then it could be done without breaking the bank. I suppose a Faraday Cage could be envisioned if the mains cables had to go outside, as they could possibly be running in a metal? pipe in this instance rather than a plastic one?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

alfer

Unread post by alfer »

I dont live in fear and dread of RFI or interference. My cables are fairly close to each other and I decline to have OCD on cables. My view is where is this supposed RFI coming from?

My system sounds the same whether TV is off or on (vol at zero)

Some folks hear dreadful problems and try to fix them, some just dread problems.
AtoZ

selby

Unread post by selby »

I'm just conscious that I've got so much kit building up, especially when I add a DAC and/or Streamer and as tidy as you can be behind a 20cm gap there is still a mix of power, ethernet, speaker cables, interconnects, hdmi etc and surely there is best practice.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Law of diminishing returns
Signal cable - Good cable 90% - Faraday cage 10% at most and the cable has to be very good in the first place to even notice it.
Speaker Cable - Good cable 100% - Faraday cage 0% or in fact probably a -% as you really do not want to do this.
Mains Cable - Good cable 100% - Faraday cage 0% apart from it creates rigidity which can be some benefit in mains cable.
Cable lifters 0%

Dave (DSJR) is spot on, for anyone who doesn't own a BMU then buy one. Most cost effective upgrade of the lot.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

selby wrote:I'm just conscious that I've got so much kit building up, especially when I add a DAC and/or Streamer and as tidy as you can be behind a 20cm gap there is still a mix of power, ethernet, speaker cables, interconnects, hdmi etc and surely there is best practice.
Yes keep them apart even if it makes them look scruffy. What ever you do, do not tie or channel them together, they can cross over each other and touch no problem but not continuously touch. It is the biggest stupidity entered into by amp makers to cable tie, because people who think they know something (idiots) think if it looks neater it is better - WRONG!. If you own an amp with tied cables then cut the ties and spread the cable apart and be prepared for a shock (not electrical :lol: ).

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

When I owned some very expensive cable I had these madeup to lift the cable up from the floor and try to make it neat if anybody wants them let me know

Beresford Caiman Ipod

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Despite the dubious efficacy i am envious of neat and tidy you have made them cables look. They are virtually a work of art.. Tidy up hifi cables as been on my to do list for 9 months. But at least the long wait for a new moving coil is nearly over.

Ps. Toddler dq would wreck those cables within a minute. Dont be having anymore children.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Applemark given the circumference of those. CAble rests you could sell them to marco as a penis comparator. It would be his favourite game at bake offs. ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They aren't his cables he is using the pic as an example.