Sony MDR-100AAP closed-back headphones

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Sony MDR-100AAP closed-back headphones

Unread post by Fretless »

Just got a pair of these and am trying them out.

I have been after a pair of closed headphones for a while and had narrowed my choice down to the Audio Technica ATH-M50X or the Sony MDR-1A. When I finally decided to buy the Sony's they had been replaced by a new model, the MDR-100AAP at a slightly lower price - more in direct competition with the ATH-M50X.

What I wanted was a 'softer' sound than my Grado SR80's but still with the 'life' of dynamics and detail. And I can report that these headphones have exactly the quality that I was looking for. a rich and smooth performance with a pleasantly detailed top, not grainy or piercing. Nice, full midrange and bass extension that you would sell your Granny for! Sony's are known for their sometimes excessive bass but here they have kept it to modestly enhanced levels and it is really a joy to hear. Soundstage is wide with accurate imaging. They describe these as 'high-definition' phones and certainly from a good source you can appreciate that this description fits.

Furthermore they are well-built, very light and extremely comfortable, sound leakage/isolation is good. Only negative is the rather short (120 cm) smartphone-style cable with a built-in mic. However the cable is easily replaceable (3.5mm plug but not a standard socket) so it shouldn't be too hard to find a longer one. Oh, for the fashion-orientated - they look really smart too and come in a range of colours; I wanted the dark blue as in the photo, but it was sold out, then considered the yellow version but ended up with dark-grey.

Recommended.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Sony MDR-100AAP closed-back headphones

Addendum: These headphones are addictive! I've had them on most of the day with no discomfort or listening fatigue. The sound might not please the ultra-detail fanatics but what you get is nicely presented with lots of space and a fullness that I have only experienced in high-end headphones that I couldn't afford.

Impossible to make any comparison to the Grado SR80 because the sound is SO different. I can only say that the Grado's present the detail so that evrything is clearly laid out. The Sony's immerse you in sound and let you swim in it. Gorgeous.

And they work just great with my Fiio X3 pocket player too. Audiophile-level sound for on the move. :dance:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I don't remember the model, but there were some similar Sony's raved about on AOS a few years back that sometimes could be got for a good price - well, under a ton anyway.. I listened to a pair and found them very good indeed, in a big-n-beefy kind of way. So many headphones ring in the mid treble and this does indeed give a sense of 'detail' when in fact it's a resonance -my HD25SP's do this at 5kHz. Comfort is personal, as no two heads are the same..
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

This is a brand-new model, just out with an RRP of about 150 pounds. Aimed at mobile usage with Hi-res portable players.
I think Sony are onto a winner here, resonance or no resonance. :grin:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by selby »

I'm looking for some closed back headphones for about this kind of money so these look good.

What I don't understand is why Sony are labelling their new headphones Hi-Res, sure headphones are headphones. I'd think a top of line pair of Grado's in terms of quality would be better than the Hi-Res Sony range. Is it just marketing :Bllocks:
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Fretless
Netherlands

There is a new breed of audiophile coming. The generation raised with downloads, streaming and MP3. Some of them begin to discover that better sound is possible via smartphones and headphones. Sony is clearly trying to offer an alternative to the ghastly Beats here and the 'Hi-Res' label is just a marketing tactic to indicate better SQ.
Last edited by Fretless on Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Downstairs:
Vinyl

selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by selby »

Beats are some of the worst headphones I've ever heard, I was going to get some Sony MDR 7506 headphones but I think I'll try these 100AAP.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors