Have you ever had french audio at home ?

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Have you ever had french audio at home ?

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

musique! wrote:Hi everyone !

I also wondering if Micromega products got talent in great britain because of their Rega look a like ? :grin:
The Solo Micromega came first and by a long time. I had one to try back in the mid 80's. the Rega Planet CD player came in the late 90's I recall.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

johanjongstra
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by johanjongstra »

Musique, I love those Cabasse speakers in your profile pic. And this weekend I heard the most fantastic French PHY driver in a Dutch Musical Affairs open baffle cabinet.
DAC: Lampizator Amber
Streaming: homemade fanless computer, i7, Windows Server 2012, HQPlayer, Bug Head Emperor, JRiver, Audio Optimizer.
AMP: Rega elicit-r
Speakers: Magnepan MG1.4, Totem Rainmakers
Turntable: Rega P3, Rega exact cartridge
Cables: NVA SSP interconnects, audio quest power chords, Totem Tress Loudspeakercable
Headphone: audioquest nighthawk with rega ear amp

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

A few years ago I went to a bake-off where there was a pair of French Kora Mandala speakers. The high gloss finish makes them look odd in this photo:

In isolation they sounded good enough.

But, at the same bake-off we played some tracks on a pair of Swiss made American speakers - EV Sentry III's.
The EV's made the Koras sound as if they were editing out the life / dynamics from the music. The EV's had a joyful zest / bounce / joie de vivre that was lacking in the Koras. The biggest problem with the EV's is that they were totally out of proportion, visually, with the bake-off room - a typical British semi-detached living room.

musique!

Unread post by musique! »

johanjongstra wrote:Musique, I love those Cabasse speakers in your profile pic. And this weekend I heard the most fantastic French PHY driver in a Dutch Musical Affairs open baffle cabinet.
TY ! You're welcome to hear it :grin:
Lindsayt wrote: The biggest problem with the EV's is that they were totally out of proportion, visually, with the bake-off room - a typical British semi-detached living room.
Never listen to the Kora but isn't the room biggest problem with the EV's ? :mrgreen:

musique!

This EV remind me these ones :

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

There are some similarities between the EV Sentry III's and Altec 19's. Both have 15" bass drivers in large ported cabinets. Both have compression driven midrange units with sort of Dolly Parton type horns. Both are roughly 97dbs efficient.

The EV's are 3 ways, the Altecs 2 ways.

I like this type of horn hybrid speaker a lot - if they can be bought at the right price. Prices are all over the place for speakers like these.

The Kora Mandalas are OK lifestyle compromise speakers.

At that bake-off the EV Sentry's sounded fine in that room. Significantly better than every other speaker at that bake-off (which included a tiny pair of modern 2 way american speakers which I found painful to listen to at the high volumes that the owner played them at). They just looked wrong, because they visually dominated it.
I've been using my Sentries for a few years in my A/V system in an 18' by 24' room. I really notice the difference in sound quality when watching a TV with built in speakers.

musique!

Lindsayt wrote: I like this type of horn hybrid speaker a lot - if they can be bought at the right price. Prices are all over the place for speakers like these.
Here's one common opinion ! Salers take the same way in here :|
Lindsayt wrote:The Kora Mandalas are OK lifestyle compromise speakers.
Is this what it called the "WAF" and is this term really appropriate in england ?
Lindsayt wrote: I've been using my Sentries for a few years in my A/V system in an 18' by 24' room. I really notice the difference in sound quality when watching a TV with built in speakers.
:mrgreen:
I also have this impression with my speakers :grin:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

If your TV sound through your hifi is not significantly better than your TV. You should put your hifi in the bin