Grado Prestige cartridges

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Grado Prestige cartridges

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Show me an example of an direct drive motor that has burnt out, as that is the only thing that makes it junk - it simply doesn't happen. Component may fail on control boards but they can be repaired. This just FUD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_unc ... _and_doubt

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Progmeister wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:The only lesson I can see is you got a very good turntable for 350.

Stop sulking and get it fixed ;)
Not sulking just pissed off Mr Quinn. I have done all of the things suggested to me by those in the know to no avail. It's getting chucked in the cupboard until I can get someone to sort it for me.
Did you flog the SL1500? It's a bloody good deck you know, fixed arm height notwithstanding and if you use a taller mat arrangement, new shell and remove the lid when playing, I think you'd get a sound not far off the Pioneer. I was stunned when I had it and shouldn't have passed it on - sounded bloody marvellous with a Supex 900 Super in it!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

paskinner
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by paskinner »

There never has been, and never will be, a perfect component. Direct drive motors can fail, just like anything else. It's not 'fear' it's common sense. Anything made by human being can develop a fault.
If anyone can think of a single item of audio which is perfect, and cannot fail, do let me know. Even 'inert' things like transformers fail. Being sensible about the pitfalls of vintage gear is just...sensible. I should know, I've got a room full of it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

How many of those things are DD drive motor failures.

Someone, anyone, show me one that failed, even the cheap crap ones go on for ever in terms of the motor. There is no stress, the bearing can wear but not the motor.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Paskinner, yeah but most hi-fi components that sound good - ie not the cheap plasticky rubbish - are highly reliable and long lasting. And most hi-fi is relatively easy and inexpensive to fix when it does go wrong. We're talking about complexity that's roughly on a par with a bicycle.

I am happy to buy non-working turntables or speakers at the right price, knowing that I can fix them easily enough.

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
Progmeister wrote:
Daniel Quinn wrote:The only lesson I can see is you got a very good turntable for 350.

Stop sulking and get it fixed ;)
Not sulking just pissed off Mr Quinn. I have done all of the things suggested to me by those in the know to no avail. It's getting chucked in the cupboard until I can get someone to sort it for me.
Did you flog the SL1500? It's a bloody good deck you know, fixed arm height notwithstanding and if you use a taller mat arrangement, new shell and remove the lid when playing, I think you'd get a sound not far off the Pioneer. I was stunned when I had it and shouldn't have passed it on - sounded bloody marvellous with a Supex 900 Super in it!
Aye. Still got it. It's a cracker.
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.