Attenuated Interconnects for CD players

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Attenuated Interconnects for CD players

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

+2 :lol:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Malaikat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Malaikat »

Since I started this thread, I have changed my interconnect from a Kimber Silver Streak with -16db attenuation (from Russ Andrews) to a non-attenuated Witch Hat Hat-Pin S3. This made for a much more detailed and dynamic sound without harshness. I now realise that the Doc was right about the negative effects of attenuation and also the rip -off prices from that supplier. It also demonstrated how poor was the original grey interconnect supplied by Naim.

However, this was nothing compared to the installation of my newly arrived NVA BMU!

Firstly, I was taken aback by the build quality and finish. If ever a rectangular black box with four electrical sockets on top could be attractive this was it!

After switch-on, I left it on overnight and first listened on returning from work the next day.

What a revelation! Unbelievable musicality, detail, startling solid imagery (with Naim!) and even better better timing.

Music was so realistic that I wish I still had my turntable (Linn LP12 I'm afraid) so I could play my only remaining vinyl - Argo Transacord LPs of steam train sounds (forgotten in the loft). I wonder how good they would sound!

I highly recommended the NVA BMU - just £500. Compare that to Russ Andrews' overpriced offerings!
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Music was so realistic that I wish I still had my turntable (Linn LP12 I'm afraid) so I could play my only remaining vinyl - Argo Transacord LPs of steam train sounds (forgotten in the loft). I wonder how good they would sound! ( Malaikat).

I ask myself, can life get much better - Just chilling, Listening to Train Sounds through an LP12....... :laughing-rolling:

Sorry Mal - Resistance is futile.
I never knew these things existed.
Train Noise's....!!!!!.jpg
Train Noise's....!!!!!.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 4659 times
Enjoy. :clap: :guiness;

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

You live and learn jammy,i spent many happy hours as a child amazed by the sound of the Flying Scotsman chuffing it's way up and along shap fell,in living stereo on my uncles homemade system with enormous drain pipe speakers.He was deaf in one ear,so he missed what i thought was the best part. :grin:

Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Oh dear, now I am going to be really anal. Shap Fell is between the Lakes and the Pennines and is a tough bank for steam locos to climb but a doddle for modern electrics, is on the West Coast main line (ex LMS). The Flying Scotsman, which was/is a locomotive not a train, actually a class A1 originally and as modified in 1948 called class A3, design by Sir Nigel Gresley in the mid 1920's as a Pacific (wheel arrangement 4-6-2) express loco. Designed to run on the East Coast main line (ex LNER). In service it never ran up (or down) Shap Bank. It has now been preserved and is part of our steam heritage, during preservation it has run up Shap in the 1970's onward to now. Though it is being rebuilt at the moment. The big main line steam locos that ran up Shap were known as Princesses and Duchesses. The famous one being Dutchess of Montrose.

Both these locos were famous because they were the first locos authenticated to have run over 100mph in the UK. On the East Coast a more advanced and streamlined and later loco but basically the same design, the Gresley A4 Mallard, still holds the world steam speed record while descending Stoke Bank in Lincs at 126mph.

And no I have no steam loco LPs. :roll:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Oh well,my uncle was mistaken,as well as a bit deaf.I liked the start,when all you could hear was the birds singing,then you heard the loco in the distance getting closer.Lots of fun. :dance:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Malaikat wrote:Since I started this thread, I have changed my interconnect from a Kimber Silver Streak with -16db attenuation (from Russ Andrews) to a non-attenuated Witch Hat Hat-Pin S3. This made for a much more detailed and dynamic sound without harshness. I now realise that the Doc was right about the negative effects of attenuation and also the rip -off prices from that supplier. It also demonstrated how poor was the original grey interconnect supplied by Naim.

However, this was nothing compared to the installation of my newly arrived NVA BMU!

Firstly, I was taken aback by the build quality and finish. If ever a rectangular black box with four electrical sockets on top could be attractive this was it!

After switch-on, I left it on overnight and first listened on returning from work the next day.

What a revelation! Unbelievable musicality, detail, startling solid imagery (with Naim!) and even better better timing.

Music was so realistic that I wish I still had my turntable (Linn LP12 I'm afraid) so I could play my only remaining vinyl - Argo Transacord LPs of steam train sounds (forgotten in the loft). I wonder how good they would sound!

I highly recommended the NVA BMU - just £500. Compare that to Russ Andrews' overpriced offerings!
Next thing is to sell the hideously overpriced and hf-coloured A5 cable and get something no so acidic sounding - the ES14's have enough of a sparkle as it is :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

jammy395 wrote:Music was so realistic that I wish I still had my turntable (Linn LP12 I'm afraid) so I could play my only remaining vinyl - Argo Transacord LPs of steam train sounds (forgotten in the loft). I wonder how good they would sound! ( Malaikat).

I ask myself, can life get much better - Just chilling, Listening to Train Sounds through an LP12....... :laughing-rolling:

Sorry Mal - Resistance is futile.
I never knew these things existed.
Train Noise's....!!!!!.jpg
Enjoy. :clap: :guiness;
The picture on the cover comes from a famous 1930s SR poster, titled "taking you to the seaside". The loco is a N15 King Arthur class (all were names after characters in Sir Walter Scots Arthurian books and the legends) 4-6-0 designed by Urie and rebuilt by Maunsell built from 1918 to 1927, to start with by LSWR but continued by SR after the groupings.

There will be some interesting sounding ones on that disc as they are bound to have some recordings of Bullied West Country or Merchant Navy class Pacifics. The unrebuilt locos sounded like syncopated steam jazz as the valve gears was controlled by chains, which was a unique design, and the chains stretched at speed, and being three cylinder locos the middle cylinder started to do the major share of the work and driver used to get completely confused, as they would adjust the cut off to hold speed and the damn thing would accelerate, also the main bearing on the middle cylinder would fail under the stress. So the sound of a Bullied Pacific at speed and working hard was mechanical jazz :lol:

I told you I was anal about them :roll: :oops:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote: I told you I was anal about them :roll: :oops:
Yes, I still recall the correction of what I understood happened to the Mallard on the speed record run. :shock:
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Malaikat

Unread post by Malaikat »

My interest in steam trains may have stemmed from being born within sight of Plymouth Friary loco shed (SR). West Country and Battle of Britain Pacifics were frequently seen there until the shed closed in May 1963. Classes M7, O2, E1R, N, Ivatt 2MT were also resident. The main shed however was Laira (ex GWR) where Kings, Castles, Counties, Halls etc were numerous.

One really strange thing was that in those days you could travel to London by trains leaving Plymouth North Road in opposite directions in opposite directions!
SR route to Waterloo & GWR route to Paddington.

Sorry also anal about them too.

Anyway this is a HIFI forum and not a railway one - so I will shut up!
Naim cd5 XS, Naim XS integrated, NVA BMU, NACA5, EPOS ES14. Back up: Marantz CD6005, Arcam A18, Tannoy Revolution 6 DCT se.