Technics 1210 a bargain or a burden?

All general audio posts go here.
Progmeister
Great Britain

Re: Technics 1210 a bargain or a burden?

Unread post by Progmeister »

Well, i have fitted the R200 and it is still humming like a pylon. Sick to the back teeth of it. It has to be the Origin Live arm board???? I think i will just put the RB250 back on because i am totally depressed throwing money at it. Just wondering if it would be worth getting the R200's wiring reconfigured so it will work. If so where would i send it?
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Johnnie at Audio Origami is the R200 expert. He can re-wire if necessary with decent cables, sort out the bias corrector if it needs a new belt and re-set the bearings as a matter of course - the horizontal bearings are gravity loaded, so a little play isn't really an issue, but they can be set better than the manufacturers did originally.

Get a wooden arm-board from Speedy Steve (look on AOS for his details). This will suit the RB series much better too I think.

http://www.audioorigami.co.uk/tone-arm-rewires/
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Proggy, it has got to be earth or power supply proximity.

1/ is it just with the nva phono2 or with others.
2/ it sounds daft but pick the TT up and move it around while it is humming, does the hum change. If it does then it is hum pick-up.

My best advice if it is earthing problems is take it back to standard with the Techy arm.

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

All sorted. Rearranged cables etc. Think i'll still have a PL71 when i can find a decent one like yours. I must say the Techie at the moment is sounding better than my Orbe/OL Encounter/103. The R200 is as good as you say Doc.
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Good stuff, it great when a problem that has become a saga is finally solved. Sooo frustrating.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Progmeister wrote: The R200 is as good as you say Doc.
This the stupidity of it, it is far better than the thing that replaced it. Yet most people were sucked in by the bullshit and dumped the old arm (back in the 80s and 90s they were being thrown away as worthless). Don't they have any ears, or is it just another result of the flat earth stupidity :roll:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Rega Planars with R200's suffered acoustic feedback, where the same deck chassis with RB tonearm retro-fitted didn't suffer at all.. Make of this what you will, but in fairness to Rega, they never bumped the RB tonearms up to better than they really were. In fact, Roy Gandy admitted to us that for a few years at least, the RB arms were the most profitable part of a Planar turntable!!!

The Rega RB101 tonearm is totally ignored, but I suspect the simpler arm as fitted to the RP1 may well 'sound' better than the 'one piece' RB arms on the RP3 upwards...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Crap TT good arm, what do expect.

paskinner
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by paskinner »

A chap on one of the American forums (Steve Hoffman) posted that after five years of using the Technics, he switched to a basic Rega, which he found a much better deck.
Just don't tell Marco, or there would be tears before bedtime.
BTW: I don't especially like either deck. Give me an old Thorens 150 any day of the week.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

Both Rega 2/3 and standard SL1200 have substantial but different sonic drawbacks IMO. I have no experience of the latest RP models that have been enthusiastically greeted (especially on SH forum).
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)