Technics 1210 a bargain or a burden?

All general audio posts go here.
antonio66
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Technics 1210 a bargain or a burden?

Unread post by antonio66 »

That was fast work in obtaining the PL71 and it looks fab. Probably the same as you on which looks the better since I did say the Rega arm looked fantastic on the Technics. Hope to read a review of the 2 decks side by in the near future. Enjoy for now.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Plonk and play, the opposite to a 1210. If you want to muck around get a 1210, if you want to plonk and play then if you can find one of these that is all you need to do.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Steve, may I make a couple of suggestions please?

I had the pleasure of 'setting up' the Doc's PL71 today. Not much to do frankly, but I was surprised how the Isonoe feet allow loads of lateral shimmy (like a quivering jelly :shock: ) but little to no 'extra' vertical movement over normal squidgy feet.....

The headshell you're using is fine for higher compliance cartridges, but that heavy thing you have (re-bodied Denon 103?) ought to have a posher shell like a Sumiko or similar. The Doc's SPU weighs a ton, and the existing counterweight seems to have more than enough travel. Worth a thought..

The other thing is the record clamp. The Doc's SPU Gold has an amazing sense of image stability, bass detail and overall 'precision' in the relaxed way a modern SPU has, with NONE of the plump, over-ripe 'stodge' of original SPU models (I'm a Decca fan, so that will tell you where I'm coming from here :)). I'm really not sure a 'clamp' is sonically necessary on this deck, although the mat he uses isn't original I think. I wouldn't want a weght to put undue stress on the main bearing, that's all...

P.S. Audio interconnect to the Phono stage (an early twin supply Phono 2 returned for checking - nothing wrong with it!) was a freshly made standard SC cable, plus a nicely made spade to 4mm plug earthing lead.

P.P.S. I don't remember much about the PL71 from when it was a current model, but it's quite a heavy beastie. I'd still recommend attention to siting and possibly feet as well though, as well as my generic recommendation about either lowering the lid when playing, or removing it altogether.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is an original mat, they used two patterns, I have tried both - no difference, no other mat I tried and I tried a few were better than the one supplied. The feet made no real difference maybe just a little, but they are on so might as well stay. Plus 1 for Sumiko headshell but I also use the one you use and not that much difference. SpeedySteve does counter weights, I still have some extension ones from him. Mine seems different to yours.

I have also found record weights to make the turntable worse, less musical.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Proggy, you need to add more mass to the arm for that cart. Sumiko headshell will do a lot of that for you.

I have my DL103 in the Sumiko and other carts in the cheaper one like you have. With that headshell I glue on brass weights to increase the mass as shown in the photos.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

No....Dear Proggie.....Needs to get a grip of.......mmmmmmmmm
Dare I say it .... 1210.

71.....is shit.

Pm me and I will tell you why....... :naughty:

jammy395

excuse ........
Im..in Algiers.

:guiness; o

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

:shock: :shock: I feel sorry for the Islamists :-?

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

jammy395 wrote:No....Dear Proggie.....Needs to get a grip of.......mmmmmmmmm
Dare I say it .... 1210.
Why don't you simply PM me?

71.....is shit.

Pm me and I will tell you why....... :naughty:
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

jammy395

And yer messages Sir..... :grin: :guiness;

Not sausages I hope......... :lol: