Re: Where have we gone wrong.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Another post for the clap :clap: :clap: :clap:

selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by selby »

Could headphones be included in this as well?

There seem to be so many 'crap' headphones out there, Beats headphones are some of the worst sounding I've come across. I've seen some funny videos on youtube where people take them apart, I also hate how they look. I like my Alessandro Music One's but being open back they aren't suitable for me now as my missus doesn't want to hear the music from the open backs. Looked at Sony studio ones that look ok.

I came across this company http://aiaiai.dk but I'm guessing they'd sound shit, smart marketing and branding though.

Other company that looked interesting was Mr Speakers - https://mrspeakers.com/shop/1-headphone ... ort-strap/

However compared to old cans I've held and looked at they all look cheaply made in comparison. NVA Headphones?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

" NVA Headphones? "

Absolutely 1 Billion % no chance.

I have a pair of one of the best closed backs ever made, but I want £150 for them. I got all enthusiastic when Jammy got me to make his Jammy special headphone amp, and tried a few good ones and kept these, but I just never use them. I just can't turn off the Pros at the moment, and with other speaker projects on the go they wont be used.

Ah! forgot to say - they are Pioneer Monitor 10s.

selby

Unread post by selby »

See those Pioneer Monitor 10s look properly built, I'm tempted Doc.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Yep all polished metal and leather. Sound really good to.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:" NVA Headphones? " Absolutely 1 Billion % no chance..
You're missing a golden opportunity here Doc. Sell him a pair of the cubettes and a couple of really big elastic bands. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

Can't understand big hifi brands like krell, mark levinson, mcinntosh, accuphase...and people who are willing to pay anything to get products from those brands.
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

Firebug1 wrote:Can't understand big hifi brands like krell, mark levinson, mcinntosh, accuphase...and people who are willing to pay anything to get products from those brands.
The power of Marketing - someone tells you that they are good, so they are good (!). You end up with something that your friends are jealous of and the guy who sold it to you has your money in his pocket. Everybody's happy (except you). :-? :lol:

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

alfafan123

Unread post by alfafan123 »

Seem to recall seeing some DIY designs on the "diyaudio" forum for small domestically acceptable speakers that achieve a flat response without complex crossovers. Can't recall which drivers they used but I guess they are too expensive for the product to be offered under £200/pr which seems to be the ceiling for the mass market.

If it is just down to selecting an affordable glass fibre or kevlar coned mid/bass drivers and a silk dome HF driver that doesn't strip paint at 100 yards why hasn't someone done it before? My guess is with the minimum retail mark up of 5 these drivers don't exist except perhaps for in the far east. Anyway the marketing men probably think who cares as most punters couldn't tell a good from a bad speaker?

In the end seems to me it is all down to the compromises made in the design with the available drivers to comply with the production cost budget to achieve the desired retail selling price. Bit sad really.:cry:

Colin Wonfor
Great Britain

Unread post by Colin Wonfor »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:My ears and eyes tell me I want nothing to do with the idiot.

In my time I have watched a hobby turn into an industry and an industry taken over by the bullshitters to be slowly going back to a hobby again. The people who started as a hobby were the greats of the industry, they sold out or retired INCLUDING HARBETH (though I cannot refer to him as a great) the shits like Ivor and the marketing men and general suits took over. Their time is nearly finished, the time for the hobby is back and new greats will appear probably via the forums, WHY? because they are hands on and their motivation is not just money.

AND Selby, I would be too ashamed to work for Linn.
The bullshiter rule at this time but it will change I can't believe sticking to one brand and that brand removing the skills that started the company and then the customer stay loyal it never happens here ever. he he he he he he :Bllocks: It a shame that wankers rule, and last night we had a few here smashing cars and throwing glass and these are the people we are trying to teach why do we bother.
The last year has made me very cynical about the upright two legged worm that occupies the blue planet., Extinction is to good for them .
It can be done so imagine it.