Historic TT Project

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Historic TT Project

Unread post by selby »

Well every time you mention one of these classic pieces of HiFi I make a note of it and hope that one day something in the list comes up for sale and at the time I've got the money in the bank.

Do you have any idea how much work the TT for restoration requires?
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Progmeister
Great Britain

Unread post by Progmeister »

I think some of the big Denon's were very nice too
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

selby wrote:Well every time you mention one of these classic pieces of HiFi I make a note of it and hope that one day something in the list comes up for sale and at the time I've got the money in the bank.

Do you have any idea how much work the TT for restoration requires?
It is 120v / 60hz , so because of the frequency change to 50hz it needs new idler wheels (2) made, also as they are old and hard and cause rumble. You can get them made in the US or perhaps one of the Lenco guys would make them. I haven't had time to find out. The voltage is no problem it just needs a step up transformer. The bearing would run a steam locomotive, the motor would run a washing machine :mrgreen: They both need an extensive run in period due to lack of use and both need re-oiling. It is already in an original plinth.

No arm.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

selby wrote:Holy crap just looked up that Trio L07 D what an engineering beauty!
...And Rega Planars sounded better in a musical sense... :animals-dogrun:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Progmeister wrote:I think some of the big Denon's were very nice too
Wonderful chassis but placed in a hollow veneered cardboard plinth that fed back. Easily sorted I suspect...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
selby wrote:Holy crap just looked up that Trio L07 D what an engineering beauty!
...And Rega Planars sounded better in a musical sense... :animals-dogrun:
Dave that is complete madness, I wish I could show you. You are getting better but that brainwash really runs deeep.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Turntables are essentially engineering and materials , they spin things at a certain speed . Despite this they are often bestowed with all kinds of "properties"

I am at a loss as to how a basic rega planar which is essentially a cheap £40 ac synchronous motor , a piece of mdf and an average bearing sound more musical than a Trio.

And as a PT owner I am always baffled how so much reverence is paid to the anniversary over other PT'S .Most PTS share the same plinth , the same bearing , the platter , the same DC motor , the exact same aerolam sub chasis and sprung suspension . A variety of top plates were used but many PT had similar ones .

An Anniversary as 2 unique properties . A motor mounted on sub chassis in a straight line between bearing and arm board . And damping materials surrounding the floating sub chasis .

I aint saying PT'S are not good and I except these 2 things make a difference over and above other pts , i have heard them for myself , but it seem to be more romantic mythology than reality .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

In the old days to counter the Linn bullshit you had to invent your own. This industry would have been a lot better and people would understand and respect that Trio and other products a lot more if people had just looked for reality instead of the :Bllocks: and :bulls1: .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Mrs Jammy, can little Jammy come out to play today. :shifty:

:epop:

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Turntables are essentially engineering and materials , they spin things at a certain speed . Despite this they are often bestowed with all kinds of "properties"

I am at a loss as to how a basic rega planar which is essentially a cheap £40 ac synchronous motor , a piece of mdf and an average bearing sound more musical than a Trio.

And as a PT owner I am always baffled how so much reverence is paid to the anniversary over other PT'S .Most PTS share the same plinth , the same bearing , the platter , the same DC motor , the exact same aerolam sub chasis and sprung suspension . A variety of top plates were used but many PT had similar ones .

An Anniversary as 2 unique properties . A motor mounted on sub chassis in a straight line between bearing and arm board . And damping materials surrounding the floating sub chasis .

I aint saying PT'S are not good and I except these 2 things make a difference over and above other pts , i have heard them for myself , but it seem to be more romantic mythology than reality .
Yes, been saying the same myself for a long time but the 'I don't want to know how things work because it will contaminate my purity' brigade just carry on with the myth regardless. What can you do?