Denon DL103 v DL103R

All general audio posts go here.
Progmeister
Great Britain

Denon DL103 v DL103R

Unread post by Progmeister »

Denon DL103 users put your hands up. Quick question, is the R worth the extra dosh? discuss! Tell me your findings on the 103 and/or R. :grin:
People turn to poison quick as lager turns to piss,,,J.C. Clarke.

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: Denon DL103 v DL103R

Unread post by Fretless »

Prog - see if Google Translate can get this Dutch review into English.
Someone has replaced his 103 with a 103R and compares the two.

http://forum.audiofreaks.nl/index.php?topic=19129.0

The gist is - yes the 103R is worth the extra dosh for musicality and transparency. But it is suited to heavier tonearms.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

It should do , and the it was a big thumbs up for that person .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

An online pal on the TeeDee forums is a bit of a 103 expert and also once confirmed that the R was better. Why you'd pay that much for even more inner-groove treble losses of a conical over an elliptical stylus is beyond me though. You also need the likes of a period Grey tonearm too, as modern lower mass arms aren't as compatible as the compliance suggests.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:An online pal on the TeeDee forums is a bit of a 103 expert and also once confirmed that the R was better. Why you'd pay that much for even more inner-groove treble losses of a conical over an elliptical stylus is beyond me though. You also need the likes of a period Grey tonearm too, as modern lower mass arms aren't as compatible as the compliance suggests.
Not so. I use a 103 as a back up to my Ortofon SPU in an old Jap arm on my Pioneer PL71. The arm is no where near the mass of Grey and the 103 tracks perfectly even on end of side, which I think is a bollocks fantasy based on a few experiences, and using too low mass arm.

This is useful information but I still think the ears are best as the judge http://ortofon.com/hifi/support/cartrid ... -frequency

Progmeister
Great Britain

No good in my OL Encounter then.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:An online pal on the TeeDee forums is a bit of a 103 expert and also once confirmed that the R was better. Why you'd pay that much for even more inner-groove treble losses of a conical over an elliptical stylus is beyond me though. You also need the likes of a period Grey tonearm too, as modern lower mass arms aren't as compatible as the compliance suggests.
Not so. I use a 103 as a back up to my Ortofon SPU in an old Jap arm on my Pioneer PL71. The arm is no where near the mass of Grey and the 103 tracks perfectly even on end of side, which I think is a bollocks fantasy based on a few experiences, and using too low mass arm.

This is useful information but I still think the ears are best as the judge http://ortofon.com/hifi/support/cartrid ... -frequency
It's bad enough with an elliptical tip rolling off treble at side end (I've done enough vinyl vs. CD comparisons in my time, synching the two and listening through a side when I was sadder than I am now) and it's interesting how close the two can be at beginning of side and how the vinyl dulls-out towards the end. Some cuts tried to correct for this I understand, but I must admit to being a fine-line fan, especially on band/dynamics-limited muddy-mess records like Yes' Topographic Oceans.' The Denon's conical tip is well documented as to what it actually does and it is audible in comparison with its peers.

As to arm matching, I did over-exaggerate the 103's requirements - apologies - but I HAVE used them in years past, but honestly cannot see much if any advantage in bass and midrange reproduction using normal tonearms over say, a boringly reliable and everlasting Denon DL110!
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Daniel Quinn

speaking of which -http://petergabriel.com/news/double-vin ... r-gabriel/

pg albums 1 to 4 , 1/2 speed remastered double albums playing at 45rpm . limited addition 10,000 copies .

best thing about it - £70 for all 4.

Progmeister
Great Britain

I was a little surprized when i found out that the Doc wouldn't need to reconfigure my Phono 2 to accommodate an R version with them having different specs.

Daniel Quinn

Why ;)