Single Speaker Demonstrations

All general audio posts go here.
terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Single Speaker Demonstrations

Unread post by terrybooth »

Lindsayt wrote:Similar to the LP12 being beaten in a bake-off and blaming that on the LP12 needing a service from a dealer.
Pretty safe bet. In my experience, the LP12 needed a service every three to six months.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Here's a quote I found on TNT Audio:

"Rumours and hearsay spread, that unsuccessful Linn demos were dismissed by their guru as being invalid due to participants wearing digital watches with inbuilt speakers. Telephones were banned from demonstration rooms and listening rooms at home because the little speaker in the earpiece was enough to destroy the quality of the tri-amped 'briks."

Not attaching any importance to it. But I remember the hi-fi press being full of this nonsense in the mid to late 80s. It wasn't much of a leap from a digital watch beeper to Peter Belt, as it turned out.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

Ivor T did a blind test to see if he could tell when there was an unconnected speaker in the room. He couldn't.

Not surprising really when you think of all the other influences a room has on the sound.. The idea that a watch or telephone speaker could affect the sound is risible.

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

I do remember visiting someone's house in the late 70s/early 80s- can't remember exactly why now - who insisted on covering the TV with a carpet when the hifi was being played.

Not many skips from 'don't trust your ears, if it sounds bad there must be something in the room affecting the sounds' to 'if it sounds bad, there must be a witch in the room'.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Did ivort remove his head ;)

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

No t that I'm aware ;)

Really pretty sporting of him to have a go since he must have known he had bob hope.

It was all part of the 'new way' of selling hi-fi, I guess. Never bothered me 'cause I had no money back then anyway. You work in sales long enough you start to realise it is all psychology and the worth of the product or its price are pretty irrelevant. Even with hi-fi.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Coming back to comparator demos, wouldn't that give a large advantage to the most efficient speakers as they'd be louder and therefore sound more "impressive" than the other speakers?

Klipschorns would fly out the door, whilst Briks would never get a look in.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Didn't happen that way. Klipsch smaller models still got off the floor and threw the music at you :lol:

Some of us did try hard to play fair, you know...

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Some manufactures in the 80's, Mission springs to mind, deliberately voiced their speaker to stand out on the speaker wall through a comparator, and when you got home and plugged them in you were suddenly puzzled as they screeched at you. Another example of the cons that were perpetrated on you by retailers and manufactures.