Hurry up...

All general audio posts go here.
brit-pop
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hurry up...

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:What did I say :think: something like you ain't heared nuffin yet !

So what do you say to the AoS twonks who keep telling you what cables and pre-amps to put with NVA :naughty:
I'd say I'm not as impressionable as people might have you believe. If I were, would we even be having this exchange?

Time to try a less simplistic narrative I think.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

brit-pop wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:What did I say :think: something like you ain't heared nuffin yet !

So what do you say to the AoS twonks who keep telling you what cables and pre-amps to put with NVA :naughty:
I'd say I'm not as impressionable as people might have you believe. If I were, would we even be having this exchange?

Time to try a less simplistic narrative I think.
No new narrative required, read it again. At no point does it say you fell for it or is there any criticism of you as the outcome shows, as you say. My point is will you now tell them they are talking out of their arses!

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Doc, nothing better than learning for yourself ('I told you so' doesn't come into it really) :)

I'm discovering things all the time - most recently that a mid priced UK made preamp I revered as 'utterly' neutral isn't 'quite' as dynamically neutral into short interconnects as it seemed to be into longer ones. Replacing it with my passive preamp into the HH power amp (which I 'didn't think' would work) has worked wonders with the HH VX300, which now more closely mimics what the NVA based amps do so verywell - most of the 'mechanical' aspects in the sound now all but disappearing :)

More importantly for me anyway, I'm slowly discovering aspects in loudspeakers I love on the one hand and intensely dislike on the other and today, wish I'd investigated the mid 1970's AR speakers more closely, rather than the porty-bextrene path. A little modern thinking to those older paper cone-n-dome designs would leapfrog the plastic cone/doped fabric approach I think, for better string tone at least (strings heard live really do have a sort of nasal sound to them).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I already gave you the solution, go buy some chip board and glue.

"I told you so" ALWAYS comes into it. When you have spent "decades" like me being insulted, told I am mad, attempts to deliberately damage my product reputation (Muccus), libel, etc etc then I will point and poke as much as I can at the idiots when they are shown up.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Let me make it clear I am happy with Brit using an Icon pre, because it is passive. I "accept" him using a Croft valve phono stage, but I am still mystified how it can be heard as better. So now with the new cables in place he is hearing what the NVA design is all about and now all comments are about reality.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Glenn does have a way with valves and his RIAA stages have always sounded very good and with noise and distortion pretty well at 'solid state' levels. Not for everyone I agree and being valved, the overall 'hue' of timbral accuracy can be fine tuned by tube rolling. Maybe not as kind to less good vinyl sources as my Phono 2 is, but that's because IMO the Phono 2 brings more of everything out without subtly compressing things. To be absolutely fair to Glenn, Rich hasn't heard what Glenn can 'really' do with his phono stages, as the separate phono stage he does has better power supplies than the Basic preamp offers and of course, there's the RS model too ;)

I'm drifting off again (so what's new?), but my Phono two with twin supplies (only able to try it briefly) made my shitty Garrard sound even better and clearer as bass distortion (for example) was better handled and the music better separated from it. Sorry, I can't explain it better.

Rich, if you get the chance, PLEASE try a Phono 2. There's an 'organic' quality in well recorded and pressed records that the Crofts may slightly over-do and the Phono 1 glosses over *in comparison.* Once heard, you'll find it difficult to resist.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Valve euphonics is just not my thing. In terms of what for me is the important aspects for music reproduction then it is the Phono 2 with two supplies every time, and that outperforms any phono stage at any price IMO, (but obviously I haven't heard all of them, so I am extending my experience of how circuits sound). One thing for certain is that it outperforms any SUT, as they cannot produce true music due to design limitations. Band limited over priced euphonic :Bllocks: IMO.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Brit if you get the chance try a twin supply phono 2 its a hard act to beat at any price.....
Ive had so called fine phono amps.....Copland, Sonnateer, wad, slee, etc etc
The nva pisses on em all, again you dont want to impart a flavour - just clarity and silence between.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Anyway it is Brits thread so time to let him have it to talk about what he has the way he wants to, I am done with making my points. It is up to him now.