A Saturday afternoon of music and hifi daftness.

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: A Saturday afternoon of music and hifi daftness.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave it is built to Class I earthed case appliance rules, it is not a match for NVA Class II construction. There will be no serious problems because of it but it means Class I earthing will be imposed on the system, where as if Class II it takes away house earthing problems / considerations as the system is designed then to float off the earth.

On top of that the current price for a P50 is £150.00 (non promotion price £200.00) where as this thing is £300.00 :naughty: I wouldn't mind if I could see the point.

brit-pop
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

Haven't we been over this already?

I tried a p50 but ultimately preferred a different passive, I also tried a Phono1 but again preferred something else. Having preferences and tastes is allowed on a subjective forum isn't it? It's only when we push those tastes and opinions on others that problems occur. Dave doesn't care for my taste in speakers, I probably don't care for his. Richard likes Royd, I always preferred Ruark. I know people who like those Chinese valve power amps but I wouldn't have them in the house. We could go on but it's all a matter of tastes really, all we can do is listen and make our choices.

I will add that though that both my current preamp and phono stage were preowned and cost significantly less than rrp.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

A 10k passive is a 10k passive, what is different. The only difference is that the NVA has an electrically invisible case, which in every case with every comparison so far with like passives has shown to be an advantage. The P50sa takes the concept to another level of musical ability as the stepped attenuators are far better than any pot could be or possibly be constructed. That makes the P50sa the same price as this other thing.

I accepted your original reasoning you told me which was that you needed the remote facility, which I understood completely, but that interferes with the musical ability of the pre. But now the reason has changed to the other one being better, sorry I cannot accept that, I know how both are designed and made. I can accept them being on a par but it is *impossible* for it to be better. There is wire, there is a 10k pot, there is a switch, there are sockets, there is a case, and there is *nothing* in their design that is superior to what I use. Now if you get a passive with an sa, or a transformer, or even LDR, then I can accept differences and choice of one being better than the other. But a pot based passive built to the same standards ( i.e. not that of the cheapies) then no. I have listened to over 30 different pots and used 4 different ones in the history of the NVA passive, which is now nearly 30 years!!! I have listened to more switches than I can remember, I have listened to more cable and sockets than I can remember. I *KNOW* my case is superior and less influence on the music, as electrically *it doesn't exist*!!!

Leave it as the reason is the remote and you will have no argument from me.

brit-pop
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:A 10k passive is a 10k passive, what is different. The only difference is that the NVA has an electrically invisible case, which in every case with every comparison so far with like passives has shown to be an advantage. The P50sa takes the concept to another level of musical ability as the stepped attenuators are far better than any pot could be or possibly be constructed. That makes the P50sa the same price as this other thing.

I accepted your original reasoning you told me which was that you needed the remote facility, which I understood completely, but that interferes with the musical ability of the pre. But now the reason has changed to the other one being better, sorry I cannot accept that, I know how both are designed and made. I can accept them being on a par but it is *impossible* for it to be better. There is wire, there is a 10k pot, there is a switch, there are sockets, there is a case, and there is *nothing* in their design that is superior to what I use. Now if you get a passive with an sa, or a transformer, or even LDR, then I can accept differences and choice of one being better than the other. But a pot based passive built to the same standards ( i.e. not that of the cheapies) then no. I have listened to over 30 different pots and used 4 different ones in the history of the NVA passive, which is now nearly 30 years!!! I have listened to more switches than I can remember, I have listened to more cable and sockets than I can remember. I *KNOW* my case is superior and less influence on the music, as electrically *it doesn't exist*!!!

Leave it as the reason is the remote and you will have no argument from me.

I said I preferred one to the other not that one was better than the other.

Perhaps easier to interpret that as better for me.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Okay Dokay!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

AoS feeding frenzy looks about to take off again, though it seems a rude comment from "fire bottle" (who the ferk would call themselves that), has been removed. But of course per usual Muccus has used the situation, which once again breaks one of his many rules :roll:

I seem to be being told I have been rude to Brit and the other one, can someone please show me this rudeness, blunt and to the point yes, but that is me, but rude to them - no!

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:AoS feeding frenzy looks about to take off again, though it seems a rude comment from "fire bottle" (who the ferk would call themselves that), has been removed. But of course per usual Muccus has used the situation, which once again breaks one of his many rules :roll:

I seem to be being told I have been rude to Brit and the other one, can someone please show me this rudeness, blunt and to the point yes, but that is me, but rude to them - no!

Have you been ''blunt and to the point'' as far back since your early 30's?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Since I first started to speak according to my mother.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I guess some people are just born that way.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And thank goodness we are !