digital radio

All general audio posts go here.
Yomanze
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: digital radio

Unread post by Yomanze »

My real advice? I prefer listening to 6 Music on my Pure DAB radio in the kitchen than through the main system.

It is 128kbps mp3 quality, which means *any* decent system will show all the flaws of the format as well as the rest of it, a kitchentop radio cares not about these things.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Me too, l have a pure dab radio in the kitchen,6 music sounds ok, dont sound so good on the main system.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yomanze wrote:My real advice? I prefer listening to 6 Music on my Pure DAB radio in the kitchen than through the main system.

It is 128kbps mp3 quality, which means *any* decent system will show all the flaws of the format as well as the rest of it, a kitchentop radio cares not about these things.
Has the BBC got shares in Bose, or as is more likely is Bose bribing the tech dep at BBC.

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

I know Jammy,

if you had told me a few years ago that I would get pleasure in bed through listening to old comedy shows on the radio........well.

I do have FM, good aerial (put it up myself - please Jammy, no comment on that one :lol: ) and I take it that in a few years time we are all fucked when it comes to radio through our systems :(
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

The Beeb settled on 192 as the optimum rate, when 256 was far better when the sonic comings and goings got tough, but the encoding/decoding is either the earlier MP1 or MP2, not even MP3 level (I think from memory). Any distortion in the source and even the harmonics in some presenter's voices can upset it badly. Once again, pristine radio 3 live concerts can sound incredibly good - best ever - on DAB, but most people don't listen to such musical styles and my memories of 6 Music were the sound always being rather compressed with added? reverb.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

Don't bother, get an Android tablet or phone and connect that to your system using either a minijack to rca or a USB dac if your version 5 lollipop.

Then tune into radio paradise and a whole load of great high quality streaming stations. Get the BBC radio through their player app or the tunein app.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

brit-pop wrote:Don't bother, get an Android tablet or phone and connect that to your system using either a minijack to rca or a USB dac if your version 5 lollipop.

Then tune into radio paradise and a whole load of great high quality streaming stations. Get the BBC radio through their player app or the tunein app.
I was wondering how you could do that. If you have the time, please could you post an idiot's (me) guide to streaming on the cheap?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:
brit-pop wrote:Don't bother, get an Android tablet or phone and connect that to your system using either a minijack to rca or a USB dac if your version 5 lollipop.

I was wondering how you could do that. If you have the time, please could you post an idiot's (me) guide to streaming on the cheap?
Sure, I'll start a new thread. Tell me Dave, how do you access the forum? Via a PC/laptop or some kind of mobile device? Depending on what you've already got you can probably do this at fairly minimal cost. Do you also have a WiFi router or are you still wired?

guydarryl

Unread post by guydarryl »

excellent idea, idiots guide for me too!
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

I agree completely with Brit-Pop. Here in the northern Scottish Borders the FM is crap and the DAB non-existent. So I use a Blackberry tablet (cheap as chips) to pull in an internet signal and Bob's your Mother's Brother.

Dad's Army at bed-time sounds fine.... :pray:
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.