cable v amp upgrades

All general audio posts go here.
jimbob
Great Britain

cable v amp upgrades

Unread post by jimbob »

I have recently ordered some new speaker cables so will be moving up from LS3 to LS5. To move up to LS6 and to upgrade my interconnects to SSP would now be quite a jump in overall cost and would probably equate to the cost of an amp upgrade to AP50. What are peoples thoughts on the best way to go next? I would like to be able to do both upgrades next but with a baby due in a matter of weeks I cannot see me having much in the way of spare cash for quite a while...

I do not plan any further upgrades anytime soon as I want to see what the LS5 brings to the table. I am just after a few opinions...

I assume both paths would do more of the 'NVA thing' but in different ways.
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Fretless
Netherlands

Re: cable v amp upgrades

Unread post by Fretless »

IMO you'll hear a cost-effective improvement by going for SSP

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

If the amp is happy with the job it is doing and so are you go for cable. Either speaker or interconnect they both have about the same benefit.

At the moment for me the #1 most effective upgrade is a BMU.

Yomanze
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Yomanze »

Your Minstrels will respond well to more welly, I would go for the AP50 especially now that you've got LS5 on the way.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

As it stands I am very happy indeed with the AP20 and the amp never complains as I do not listen to music at high volumes. I don't know if it is just me but I feel happier with the idea of spending money on amp upgrades rather than cables simply because you 'have something to show for it' when you get a shiny new amp. I know it isn't the way I should think about it as its all about musical improvements not new boxes. I just want to know where the most improvement is likely to be found.

I was speaking to Ash about a BMU and he suggested cable upgrades as the way to go. I intend to have it all eventually just not sure of the order to do it in. :P
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Fretless wrote:IMO you'll hear a cost-effective improvement by going for SSP
I borrowed a friends SSP a while ago and they were very good indeed. A definite step up from the SSC in that they did more of what the SSC does.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

1/ BMU
2/ SSP
3/ AP50
4/ LS6

1 and 2 can reverse if cost comes into choice.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

That order looks do able over the next couple of years. Hopefully a BMU by the end of the year then take it from there. It is good to have the 2 year upgrade option and the return policy. Fingers crossed My Hermes will be slightly heavy handed with a BMU at some point in the future... :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

jimbob wrote:That order looks do able over the next couple of years. Hopefully a BMU by the end of the year then take it from there. It is good to have the 2 year upgrade option and the return policy. Fingers crossed My Hermes will be slightly heavy handed with a BMU at some point in the future... :lol:
Have you seen how much babies cost :lol:

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Daniel Quinn wrote:
jimbob wrote:That order looks do able over the next couple of years. Hopefully a BMU by the end of the year then take it from there. It is good to have the 2 year upgrade option and the return policy. Fingers crossed My Hermes will be slightly heavy handed with a BMU at some point in the future... :lol:
Have you seen how much babies cost :lol:
Haha oh yes... This will be child number 2!