Original Arcam One speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Fretless
Netherlands

Original Arcam One speakers

Unread post by Fretless »

In the early 1980’s A&R Cambridge decided to expand from just being known for their fine Amplifiers and Pickup cartridges and diversify into other areas. First product was the Arcam One loudspeaker – medium sized, medium-priced – meant to be an affordable alternative to the established brands. As far as I know this was the first time that ‘Arcam’ was used as a brand name.
So here we have it the Arcam One, bought from Hugh Chadwick at Huddersfield HiFi (his son runs the business now, I believe) and much used and abused in the intervening 30+ years.

It is a 2-way design with a foam ridge surrounding the tweeter (completely perished). If you look closely you can see little black stickers under the tweeter and bass domes, this was a short-lived fad in the 80’s and had something to do with magnetic polarisation (or it was to keep the goblins away? – I’m not sure anymore).

At the back, the bass port (a bit unusual in those days). And a selection of input sockets to allow for the possibility of bi-amping. Which opens up all sorts of possibilities for later on as I have never tried that (forgot it was there, actually). I did substitute the metal clips to the tweeter input with solid-core copper cable somewhere along the way, probably thought it sounded better.
In all the time that I’ve had these I have NEVER opened them up to have a look. But being made curious by all the wadding-in, wadding-out discussions at the moment, I felt that the time had come to have a look.

Carefully prising the bass-drivers out, no screws here – real bolts, and we come across the traditional wadding. Sections of soft white padding and yellow foam, still surprisingly clean after several decades (in one of the cabinets anyway).

With that out of that way the crossover and some very serious internal bracing is revealed. Wiring is thick and of good quality. The crossover is neat and simple. There are bitumen(?) pads stapled to the sides and these I’ll leave alone for now. These cabs look to be seriously well-made and it would appear that a lot of care and thought has gone into this design.

So then its; putting them back together and firing them up again to see if there is any noticeable difference. My living-room system, now used primarily for relaxing background sounds when I’m reading or skimming HFS on my tablet, comprises of a Sonos Connect directly running the old stereo NVA A40 via Accuphase AL10 interconnects and then lengths of Supra Classic 4.0 to the Arcams. Oh, and there is a NAD CD524 in there as well.

The sound of the Arcam One’s is warm and friendly, a sort of cuddly blanket of sound that you can wrap yourself in. The only speaker I ever heard that sounded almost identical was a Spendor (the BC1, I think). Imaging has always been a problem with the Arcam’s and all genres of music were portrayed with a veiled/coloured quality that basically meant you could listen to the Sex Pistols and they would be sounding like rather nice, polite boys who you could invite round for tea.

Wadding out and first a bit of Pat Metheny on acoustic baritone guitar (‘One Quiet Night’). Big, big change. The sound is clear, free from the cabinets, with a fresh and resonant quality on the guitar. The speakers sound 20 years younger (wish I could say the same). Then a bit of punchy electronics from the sequencers of John Lakveet’s ‘The Force of Reason’. Yup, a major step up in clarity, detail and imaging. They don’t sound like my old, friendly boxes anymore; no, they’ve become a bit meaner and leaner – but they might possibly be able to work even better. Only negative is that removing the wadding (and this is the third time I’ve done this) tends to get the treble going a touch shrill and ragged at higher volume. Something that I know steel plating solves.

Enough for now. Time to ponder on whether to replace the bitumen pads with some steel plating, and also experiment a bit with tuning/sealing the port.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Original Arcam One speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So many members here seem to be scared to take the wadding or foam out of their speakers. What the ferk can we do to convince them. It is such a simple job and easily reversible, so why are people so scared to do it. :snooty:

AND in the process you will discover the real potential of NVA amps and cables.

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I am certainly scared of damaging these boxes, being very emotionally attached to them as 'living relics' of my past. Having now had good results with a couple of speakers that I picked up cheaply and had no preconceptions about I know that there are things that can be easily and quickly (and reversibly) done where you immediately hear the difference.

Problem is that if you lay out a large amount of hard-earned cash for some high-end transducers then messing about with them requires getting over your trepidation, and worries about invalidating guarantees and all that.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

Ronin
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ronin »

Fretless wrote: Only negative is that removing the wadding (and this is the third time I’ve done this) tends to get the treble going a touch shrill and ragged at higher volume
I also found this when i did the Goodmans Magnum speakers,I wasn't convinced at first that Id done the right thing,it was only until I'd gone through a few well known albums that I realised how good it was.
I've just lined them with steel plate so it will be interesting if it takes the sting out of the treble.Oh! hang on,..I've just remembered, I've replaced the tweeter :roll:

My friends got the Arcam 2+,quite heavy stand-mounts.A bit "shut-in" sound wise,to my ears that is.

Interesting read Fretless ,thanks for sharing..great pic's too!

Ronin

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Jimmy Hughes had some lovely sounding Arcam 2's in the mid 80's, but he was all about DNM solid core on everything and I suspect the wadding was removed as a matter of course when the speakers had their almost certain internal re-wire :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Ronin
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ronin »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Jimmy Hughes had some lovely sounding Arcam 2's in the mid 80's, but he was all about DNM solid core on everything and I suspect the wadding was removed as a matter of course when the speakers had their almost certain internal re-wire :)
My mate give me some DNM cable to rewire the Goodmans,the sound was worse (to me) than the original wiring and it breaks very easily .

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Fretless wrote:I am certainly scared of damaging these boxes, being very emotionally attached to them as 'living relics' of my past. Having now had good results with a couple of speakers that I picked up cheaply and had no preconceptions about I know that there are things that can be easily and quickly (and reversibly) done where you immediately hear the difference.

Problem is that if you lay out a large amount of hard-earned cash for some high-end transducers then messing about with them requires getting over your trepidation, and worries about invalidating guarantees and all that.
And the often incorrect belief that those companies know what they are doing. Price is just a question of what they can get away with with most of them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Have some gumption, just remove the wadding and / or foam.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

My ML-110i has wadding. I'll remove it in a few weeks and see what I think.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If those are wallace's steel plated ones, it has already been done.