Rega Dudes

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Rega Dudes

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

In fairness, I don't think an NVA makes bad recordings unlistenable, as so many 'uber deeeeetailed' 'HiFi' systems can do, but you do hear far more of what's going on with the NVA amps.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Brit has already upgraded once, the original amp to satisfy the Rega comparison was a mk1 A30 stereo power amp and a P50. That is the equiv of the old AP30 integrated which is about same price as the Brio R, which was the comparison (bake off) I was always trying to make, and being studiously ignored by the shills. It was that amp that saw off the Brio R if you go to the beginning of the Cat would like to thank NVA thread. The A40mk2 monoblocks have been a trade up since.

Anyway all in the past now and I am sure the Brio R is a good amp, just not NVA. My point at the time was not to put down the Rega but to hi-light the forum marketing campaign going on and trying to put some honesty in it, As I said before Rega are much more commercial than some people think.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It seems so many of the traditional Rega type dealers have disappeared that IMO it wont be long before it is in Richer Sound. Or maybe they go direct :whistle:

brit-pop
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by brit-pop »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Brit has already upgraded once, the original amp to satisfy the Rega comparison was a mk1 A30 stereo power amp and a P50. That is the equiv of the old AP30 integrated which is about same price as the Brio R, which was the comparison (bake off) I was always trying to make, and being studiously ignored by the shills. It was that amp that saw off the Brio R if you go to the beginning of the Cat would like to thank NVA thread. The A40mk2 monoblocks have been a trade up since.

Anyway all in the past now and I am sure the Brio R is a good amp, just not NVA. My point at the time was not to put down the Rega but to hi-light the forum marketing campaign going on and trying to put some honesty in it, As I said before Rega are much more commercial than some people think.
Almost right, I did have the opportunity to compare the a30/p50 with the brio. There were many areas where this excelled above the brio but one or two shortcomings also. The nva was more open/transparent and spread the music out much wider than the Rega, this was what I liked and cemented my decision to sell the brio. Where this combo was lacking compared to the brio was this spreading of the music lost some of the middle to the sound stage. Almost as if there was an empty space between speakers, a hole in the presentation. This was something the brio had in spades and did what it did with more conviction than the nva combo. Nonetheless the openness and honestly was gone.

I didn't get on with the p50, some functionality was lacking and the sound was too open and wide. I was chasing it around the room a bit. The Icon Audio pre sorted this.

In other words I wanted what the nva did but with more poke, this meant a different passive and the monos which is where we are now. I now a sound that is big, open and not lacking in the middle.

I know you'll probably find some of this a bit confusing Richard but it's just how I found it and we all hear different I guess.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

First time I ever heard an enthusiast complain that his soundstage was 'too open' but I think I know what you mean. :grin:

Until I heard Rich's all Rega system the only Rega I had heard was the Planar 3. I was impressed by the all-Rega system, it had a good balance between open and natural and the modern vogue for emphasising sparkle and leading edge. Considering that it is not expensive gear in the scheme of things if I had bought the lot new from a Rega dealer I wouldn't have much to complain about in terms of value for money.

As far as lack of poke I don't think the NVA pre is really to blame, not by my own experience with the P90SA. It doesn't lose anything in that department compared to my other (active) pre-amps. I'd be tempted to point the finger at the Rega speakers, I think. Take away the synergy with the Brio amp and maybe you are into different territory.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

This is where I wish I was a good electronics engineer with a good ability with the maths involved... I'm sure impedance matching *may* have something to do with it, but of course I can't say definitely. I mean, a passive preamp is basically a pot, some wires and an input switch, the only variable which *may* make some sort of a difference being the impedance value of the pot I think. Also, with an NVA preamp it's impossible to get the signals out of phase, even for me ;)

If the Icon Audio passive pre does give a better centre image then either it's really working in mono (don't knock it, as a recent top end Rega phono stage went round a number of dealers, orders were placed and yet NONE of them except my pal hifi dave noticed it was playing in mono!!!), or the value of the pot used suits the gear it's used with better. I swear I'm not trying to be patronising here, but hopefully realistic?
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Brit-Pop - I really do believe the RS5's are wanting in terms of a natural tonal balance and deep cabinets with sideways firing bass drivers are really strange affairs anyway, apparently with severe compromises all of their own. I guarantee you won't like them straight off, but a listen to one of the mid-sized MODERN Spendors should be undertaken, or at least, a lengthy comparison with the RS3's. I don't know where, as so many of the surviving dealers are so single-minded, ignorant and polarised, but I still think you may need weaning off the rough and ready upper ranges on these if my experiences are anything to go by.

Actually, Rega may well answer all this stuff with their new loudspeaker models due in the Summer...

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

I'm still fascinated by this Rega Brio-R.

Brit, Have you tried/heard the RS1 with the Brio-R?

s.
Shane Lonergan.

brit-pop

southall-1998 wrote:I'm still fascinated by this Rega Brio-R.

Brit, Have you tried/heard the RS1 with the Brio-R?

s.
Aye, you'll never know til you try Shane.

I've not heard it with the rs1 but I did have a pair of rs3 which worked very well with it.

Dave is right that they are more neutral than the rs5 and the points made here about synergy I think have some merit. I'd guess you'd find any of their speakers a decent match for it.

brit-pop

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:This is where I wish I was a good electronics engineer with a good ability with the maths involved... I'm sure impedance matching *may* have something to do with it, but of course I can't say definitely. I mean, a passive preamp is basically a pot, some wires and an input switch, the only variable which *may* make some sort of a difference being the impedance value of the pot I think. Also, with an NVA preamp it's impossible to get the signals out of phase, even for me ;)

If the Icon Audio passive pre does give a better centre image then either it's really working in mono (don't knock it, as a recent top end Rega phono stage went round a number of dealers, orders were placed and yet NONE of them except my pal hifi dave noticed it was playing in mono!!!), or the value of the pot used suits the gear it's used with better. I swear I'm not trying to be patronising here, but hopefully realistic?
Interesting points Dave and probably something in the impedience and pot comments. I'm fairly certain the Icon isn't working in mono though :think:

On the speaker front I've liked all the big spens I've heard and would agree they'd be a smashing match I reckon. I did have a pair of rs3 and they're fab but I won't be rushing out to buy their new models at the big price hike they've applied. If I were spending that sort of money I'd be on the phone to Colin Topps for a pair of Jennas or Edingales if my room could take them. I nearly bought a pair last year but ultimately they were too big for my room. I got to hear both models at length with a variety of amps at Owston last year. Wonderfully natural and the care and effort which has gone into their voicing and driver selection is second to none. They are the only new speaker I will consider at the moment.