Garrard SP25 arm won't travel to centre

All general audio posts go here.
Apprentice
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Garrard SP25 arm won't travel to centre

Unread post by Apprentice »

Me again. I thought the ideal set up for my KEFs would be a vintage Garrard SP25 that a mate found in his loft.

The problem is that it all works fine but the arm won't travel to the centre of the LP. It just sticks 3/4 the way in.

Any ideas or help or banter gratefully accepted. I'm desperate to replace my 1210.

Sandman
EUROPEAN_UNION

Re: Garrard SP25 arm won't travel to centre

Unread post by Sandman »

Apprentice wrote:Me again. I thought the ideal set up for my KEFs would be a vintage Garrard SP25 that a mate found in his loft.

The problem is that it all works fine but the arm won't travel to the centre of the LP. It just sticks 3/4 the way in.

Any ideas or help or banter gratefully accepted. I'm desperate to replace my 1210.

:angry-screaming: Large hammer
Turntable Double platter Lenco GL75 re-plinthed / Hadcock GH242SE Copper / NVA SC cable Cartridges Decca London Blue & Gold Phono NVA Phono2 2x PSU CD Audiolab 6000CDT > Teac UD-H01 Streamer Bluesound Node2 > Teac UD-H01 Pre NVA P90SA Power (Tweeters) NVA A30 Power (Mid/Bass) NVA Forum LE mono Interconnects NVA SSP Speaker Cable (Tweeter) NVA LS5 Speaker Cable (Mid/Bass) NVA LS6 Speakers NVA Cube2 Mains NVA BMU

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well goddamn........Welcome back Apprentice. :clap:

Replace a 1210 with a Garrard....... :hand: :doh:
You are obviously a first year apprentice. :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sandman wrote:
Apprentice wrote:Me again. I thought the ideal set up for my KEFs would be a vintage Garrard SP25 that a mate found in his loft.

:angry-screaming: Large hammer
Overkil, a small hammer will do the job, and sometimes you just have to blow on them and they fall apart :mrgreen:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I guess that's why it was in the loft.It was my first deck,but never had a problem with it.Sounds like something has got the wrong side of itself in the auto return mech. :o You will have to pull it apart and have a look..Good luck.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Apprentice

Unread post by Apprentice »

jammy395 wrote:Well goddamn........Welcome back Apprentice. :clap:

Replace a 1210 with a Garrard....... :hand: :doh:
You are obviously a first year apprentice. :lol:
The very first deck I had back in 1974 was a Garrard SP25. It cost an entire months wages, and when I bought it and got it home, it was only then that I realised that I needed some other bits. An amp and some speakers to be precise. FFS, my Dad's gramophone
came as a complete unit!

Anyway, my mate came over last weekend to borrow my chainsaw and saw the hifi set up. He mentioned that he had an old Garrard deck that his son wanted. "That must be an SP25" I said and it was left that.

However, an hour ago he knocked at the door clutching this piece of history, totally agog at my knowledge. "It IS an SP25" he said "How did you know?".

I just gave him a knowledgeable smirk, which was unfortunate because he now thinks I can fix it.

Just goes to show, one man's apprentice is another man's expert. :eusa-liar:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Is this a wind-up?

There are dozens of threads on Vinyl Engine in the Garrard room and the 'Audio/HiFi' room on the UK Vintage Radio site - http://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/foru ... 468bb&f=14

ALL old auto Garrards (especially the Autoslim-based models of which the SP25 series was the best) and more than a few Duals now, suffer from dried and now gummy grease and oil. The service manuals can be downloaded from Vinyl Engine once you've signed up and these will tell you how to carefully remove the platter and main auto cam. On this cam are the trip pawls which will need to be removed, ALL old oil and goo removed (leave any grease in the underside main 'groove' for now) and reassembled 'dry,' so the pawls rattle like a tambourine if the cam is shaken. Follow the numerous threads on cleaning the mech underneath, lube the motor etc. and be pleasantly surprised how fair the SP25 can sound with a suitable cartridge (AT95E is one option and very early ones love the Stanton 500 too, in whatever version and the Ortofon OM pro and GT sound lively and crisp in these decks).

Here's my 60mk2 (auto version of SP25 II - mine has the SL motor retro-fitted)

... and its ancestor, the AT6, which started the collection off...

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Bloody heck,i've just looked at pictures of the underneath of one on that web site.Looks just like the operating levers on a Massey Ferguson tractor hydraulic system,still the russians went into space with a computer like that.. :o :roll:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

:twisted:

All that lovely over-grease.....

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

That's not a REAL autochanger - this is :mrgreen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_ouqCsZUx0

The Garrard is a tractor, this is a Swiss watch. :dance: