DAC's.....Do I really need one ?

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: DAC's.....Do I really need one ?

Unread post by wallace »

terrybooth wrote:Pity it doesn't quite scan.
It does in Buckie....
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

I challange anyone to beat my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC, ive had the Rega and Audiolab and they are just the What HiFi usual, believe me. It excels in all areas, you can choose between solid state and tube.

Trust me its amazing :grin:

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

AshM750. wrote:I challange anyone to beat my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC, ive had the Rega and Audiolab and they are just the What HiFi usual, believe me. It excels in all areas, you can choose between solid state and tube.

How does it stack up price wise ? - there are better dacs out there for sure than Rega, Arcam etc but some appear to have a heavy price tag for something that is relatively simple using modern chip technology.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

Classicrock wrote:
AshM750. wrote:I challange anyone to beat my Eastern Electric Minimax DAC, ive had the Rega and Audiolab and they are just the What HiFi usual, believe me. It excels in all areas, you can choose between solid state and tube.

How does it stack up price wise ? - there are better dacs out there for sure than Rega, Arcam etc but some appear to have a heavy price tag for something that is relatively simple using modern chip technology.
I picked mine up used for £350, but they are very rare because there so good. There are new ones now as mine was the first one they brought out, but again there very rare and you would have to get one imported. You can also upgrade and modd them yourself.
Best place to look for a used one is on here
http://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk

heres the latest one(this ones been modded)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Eastern-E ... 58c0e92898

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I deliberately avoided doing that directly because I didn't want to compromise Stan or the forum. I wasn't exactly sure when or where the line is drawn in terms of manufacturers talking about their own products.
(Singularity -aka Cocksucker)

I mention my own products or pieces of equipment that I own or have owned as my source of reference since they are the ones I can talk about from personal experience. But in general I try to avoid taking part or only make a limited contribution in general discussions when it covers product types that I also supply. I do my best to only contribute in the Beresford DAC thread as far as audio related discussions are concerned. Otherwise you'll mainly find me posting in the General Chat area. I did make a few posts in the Pi thread about programming the thing. But I don't get involved in discussing the product itself since it can also be fitted with a DAC PCB, and any mention of that in a reply from me might come across as advertising. So questions on Pi hardware are also avoided by me in order to avoid any conflict of interest.
(Stan the man - On Shilling)

:angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: :angry-screaming: