All general audio posts go here.
kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

CD to DAC Interconnect

Unread post by kimangelis »

Hello all.

Looking for some advice... I've just got myself a Rega Brio DAC to partner my Apollo-R CD player. Al good so far.

I'm presently using a SC interconnect and am wondering about upgrading to a SSC or SSP or even TIS ?

All my existing analogue interconnects are SSP with the (present) exception of the P50 Tape Out to the AP10H (as per Jammy) which uses SC. This will be upgraded to SSP when funds permit.

Any suggestions would be very welcome.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: CD to DAC Interconnect

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Many screened cables will work as a digital interconnect in my experience, but you don't want to hear that I suspect :)

This is supposed to be a 75 ohm connection, but tests done by Paul Miller years ago tend to dispute this in practise. The SC you're using is a wide bandwidth cable, so should be fine for the job :) Hopefully, someone's tried an SSC for this task and this may well be better over longer runs. Me? From memory I'm using an optical, as when I last used a proper 75 ohm coax (Van Damme) with my 'Ton-Up' Digit Opto, I was getting dropouts.

You could always save for a TIS as digital interconnect. That way there'd be no doubt about the digits getting from one box to another uncorrupted ;)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I have both SSC And SSP as digital interconnects into my DAC. SSC from a Sonos Connect which gives a lively and exciting sound. SSP from CD player which is smoother, but still crystal clear, dynamic and detailed.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Sorry... should have been clearer. Don't want to use anything other than NVA. Thanks Fretless for the comparison between SSC and SSP. Anyone used an TIS between CD and DAC?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

brit-pop

Unread post by brit-pop »

I've not heard those NVA cables so can't comment.

Between my Rega DAC and CDP I've used diy klotz ac110 with neutrik connectors, belkin silver series digital interconnect, and an old bit of monster interlink with 75ohm on it.

I've no idea how they measure but the klotz and belkin worked well. Btw I don't rate the silver series forum favourite as an analogue interconnect. It's sounds flat as a fart.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All I can tell you is that in my experience the differences shown in going up through the range is the same for digital as it is for analogue. Convention and objective criteria says that it shouldn't make a damn bit of difference, but the problem is reality disproves this.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

brit-pop wrote:I've not heard those NVA cables so can't comment.

Between my Rega DAC and CDP I've used diy klotz ac110 with neutrik connectors, belkin silver series digital interconnect, and an old bit of monster interlink with 75ohm on it.

I've no idea how they measure but the klotz and belkin worked well. Btw I don't rate the silver series forum favourite as an analogue interconnect. It's sounds flat as a fart.
You have gone very quiet, give us an update on the amps, can you hear the run in?

brit-pop

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
brit-pop wrote:I've not heard those NVA cables so can't comment.

You have gone very quiet, give us an update on the amps, can you hear the run in?
They're left switched on and running in. I've been short of time to have a proper listen as I got back from work late last night and have to pop out to a band rehearsal tonight so won't get the chance. Coming home half deaf as I do after rehearsal wouldn't really be fair to try listening to music. I'm off to London on Weds/Thurs so it will be Friday night before I get a chance to have a proper session. I expect they'll sound fab when I do though.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Are you getting any of Marco famous private emails :think:

brit-pop

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Are you getting any of Marco famous private emails :think:
No.