Bright Royd Doublets

All general audio posts go here.
AshM750.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bright Royd Doublets

Unread post by AshM750. »

I thought I would start a new thread on this carrying on from walters goodmans thread.

I have been complaining about my doublets being a bit bright and they just dont feel right everything seems a little messy.

Ok, gave the drive units a clean but they seem fine, put them back on and they havnt changed. Let me try to explain, it is as if there is to much detail and there is no silence between intruments like I used to hear (with Dynaudios on nva), my ears dont seem to get a break and it causes not fatiuge but pure ringing in my ears and thats at low volumes, keepin the grills on makes a very slight difference but not enough.
It could be that
A) ive overworked my ears (to much listening) :-?
B) a poor quality component in my system(digi interconnect, got an SSP on way)
C) my valve/tube is on it way out in the dac( bought a new one and its on its way)
D) the speakers are not to my taste, bearing in mind i have the same problem with my minstrels
E) my room and postioning

Im not going to remove and add resistors because I will want to sell these one day and i may not even like them with the upgrade. I will wait until I get my new parts and give that a go but I am seriously thinking of selling my whole collection and starting fresh with somthing new.

What does everyone think ?

As you can see there on spiked plinths facing straight down the room with ports inwards, my room is about 4.0m by 4.5m.

istari_knight

Re: Bright Royd Doublets

Unread post by istari_knight »

I vote D as most likely but we can hope for E :grin: . Royds aren't for everyone... In fact they are quite a Marmite speaker, the fact you feel the same about 2 models from the same manufacturer says it all really.

Simple things to try would be swapping them over (L/R) so the ports fire the opposite way & toe them in, off-axis HF can be raggedy.

AshM750.

istari_knight wrote:I vote D as most likely but we can hope for E :grin: . Royds aren't for everyone... In fact they are quite a Marmite speaker, the fact you feel the same about 2 models from the same manufacturer says it all really.

Simple things to try would be swapping them over (L/R) so the ports fire the opposite way & toe them in, off-axis HF can be raggedy.
Thanks for your reply, I had them toed in for the first week or two and they were a bit in your face but i havnt properly tried ports out so let give that a go. :grin:

istari_knight

Unread post by istari_knight »

When I say toe in I don't mean a little bit, I mean a lot ! I had this same issue with my JPW's and toeing them in further than I'd previously thought sane really worked wonders... Worth a try anyway !

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Push them further back to the wall. About a foot from your picture.

AshM750.

Thanks ile give them a shot, I believe this is my fault not the speakers and im determined to put every effort into getting these right. ;)

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Neat looking system. I'm jealous!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

AshM750.

southall-1998 wrote:Neat looking system. I'm jealous!

S.
Wish I could get the speakers right though :x :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

How do you find the Royd Topaz in comparison to the Doublets?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

AshM750.

southall-1998 wrote:How do you find the Royd Topaz in comparison to the Doublets?

S.
I feel there very airy and well balanced, they have the detail like the Doublets to, in some cases I actually prefer them but they havent got the bottom end punch like the Doublets (obviously). Im still sure though that now I have owned a few pairs of royds I can safely say they all carry the slight bright character (in my system/room) but thats just my opinion.

If I do move on from royds then I will sell them all via here first so keep an eye out.