Bright Royd Doublets

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Bright Royd Doublets

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

So let me get this straight .

He needs a pair of speakers which by your own admission the person who made them cant even get the best out of them because he is blinded by ideology ? :lol:

A pair of speakers you own , but wont try and see if the doc mods make them better out of some sort of "autisitic" * based stubbornness

A pair of speakers that have a complex corssover are bass reflex and a price out of all proportion to materials .

go figure ;)

* your description of yourself not mine .

interestingly harbeth is an anagram of HERB HAT , that would be far more useful , or BATH HER , that would be much more fun ;)

AshM750.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by AshM750. »

Ash - Ive alway's had a bit of a soft spot for Rotel, nice sounding gear, especially the vintage stuff. jammy395

I had a couple, but my favourite was one of the last decent ones they made, Rotel RA1520, It was perfect with the royds.

You need Harbeths, end of! _D_S_J_R_

Point me out a good set to look out for and ile try listen to ;)

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

AshM750. wrote:Ash - Ive alway's had a bit of a soft spot for Rotel, nice sounding gear, especially the vintage stuff. jammy395

I had a couple, but my favourite was one of the last decent ones they made, Rotel RA1520, It was perfect with the royds.

You need Harbeths, end of! _D_S_J_R_

Point me out a good set to look out for and ile try listen to ;)
Did you ever use the tone controls? I can see the Rotel RA1520 also has a tone button too :roll:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Obviously my advice is don't touch Harbeths with a barge pole. I hate to promote myself but you need Cubes

In the mean time do some more subtle speaker positioning, with a square room it is even more important than normal. With your room you have two walls that make up the corner. You may find by closer to side wall fills out the bass without the clouding and the speaker still not getting too hot (bright). It is patience. Remember you have a box that is playing music in a box, you have to get them to work together.

Cable will be early next week.

AshM750.

Did you ever use the tone controls? I can see the Rotel RA1520 also has a tone button too. southall-1998

I never use the tone controls, as Doc says two wrongs dont make a right. ;)

Ile have another play around with the postining then, as for them Harbeths, they are not cheap !!!!!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If you have a tone control then try it, it is already doing damage to the music by being there so you might as well use it.

AshM750.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:If you have a tone control then try it, it is already doing damage to the music by being there so you might as well use it.
Is that even if it has a tone on off button ?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Just not so much damage.

BTW when I said closer to side wall also pull further out from back wall. What I am trying explain is most people only talk about back wall, but both do a bass reinforcement when close but differently - experiment.

AshM750.

Not tried that Doc, I will give it a go. I must admit that swapping the ports to the outside and putting them closer to the rear wall did help. ;)