over priced kit

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: over priced kit

Unread post by Classicrock »

Feisty top end is not something I want to hear from an amp. Materialy I can see few amps being worth £3.5K but in terms of the current market it is not too bad for a high end amp. The new nu vista MF integrated sounds rather nice and that is £8K. My Albarry mono blocks now retail at £3K and a mid range Rega is £1,5K. Doc's prices are ridiculously low. It's a pity that due to industry politics we cannot hear NVA at a show and do some basic comparisons with some 'high end' exhibitors. Also remember Doc's statement amps get pretty pricey.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jandl100 »

jammy395 wrote:I dont need to hear it, to know its over priced over hyped tat - that anyone with half a brain could beat on SQ or VFM.

You have yer old Pig Head on again Jerry - Value for Money 9/10 - WTF. :naughty: :mrgreen:
I've not seen the Piggy review - but 9/10 vfm for an amp that does some things better than anything else I have heard? :think: - and I've heard and owned quite a bit, some of it a lot more expensive ;) - well, it doesn't seem too far off the mark, really. :)
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jammy395
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Doc's prices are ridiculously low. It's a pity that due to industry politics we cannot hear NVA at a show and do some basic comparisons with some 'high end' exhibitors. (Classicrock).

Yes it is a grave pity.

Get a NVA P90sa Pre and a pair of A80 monoblocks for under 2k job done. :clap:

Three and a half grand TQ my arse.......... :angry-screaming:

P.S. - Doc's prices are ridiculously low. (Classicrock) - Shhhhhhhh ffs he may hear ya and put em up. :mrgreen:
Last edited by jammy395 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Deviliats are computers. You can tailor the sound to your speakers and liking.
And yer point Dan ?........ :think:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

According to you jerry it is a 3.5k amp with a suspect frequency response which limits it's suitability to one particular genre of music. :roll: :lol:6

My point was jammy it's frequency response can be individually tailored which would seem to ameliorate Jerry's criticisms for many.
Last edited by Daniel Quinn on Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

jandl100

jammy395 wrote:Doc's prices are ridiculously low. It's a pity that due to industry politics we cannot hear NVA at a show and do some basic comparisons with some 'high end' exhibitors. (Classicrock).

Yes it is a grave pity.

Get a NVA P90sa Pre and a pair of A80 monoblocks for under 2k job done. :clap:

Three and a half grand TQ my arse.......... :angry-screaming:
Yes, I owned and enjoyed a pair of NVA A80 'blocks for quite a while. Lovely amps & great vfm.

It would be good to hear some NVA at the Scalford Show this year, but I don't recall anyone putting them down in the system lists, which is a shame.

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jandl100

Daniel Quinn wrote:According to you it is a 3.5k amp with a suspect frequency response which limits it's suitability to one particular genre of music. :roll: :lol:
Well done dq - but that bit in italics is the exact opposite of what I posted. :lol:

Daniel Quinn

"Really excelled on rock and electronica "

If your being pedantic I suppose that's two.

jandl100

Daniel Quinn wrote:"Really excelled on rock and electronica "

If your being pedantic I suppose that's two.
Our mutual antipathy is clouding your judgement, dq. :naughty:

I said the amp was not good for me on classical, which was why I didn't buy it.

Daniel Quinn

If antipathy clouded my judgement I would have been sacked years ago :lol:

Forgive me if i spend 3.5k on an amp I would expect it to excel on more than two genres , not just be good on everything but classical .

Also , it would seem for you it is bettered by a 2002 nad which according to google can be had for about £500. It is not my judgement that is clouded . ;)